Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,266   Online: 836

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulButzi View Post
    The BH-40 is small, light, and at $375 probably qualifies as mid-price range. I like the little BH-40 far better than the Acratech; it's smoother in use, locks down as securely, and has a much nicer clamp. The controls are far easier to use with cold/stiff fingers. It is only marginally heavier than the Acratech. It is, however, about $100 more expensive.
    Paul,

I read your reviews and found them very interesting, and I am sure the Really Right Stuff RH-40 is a great ball head. But $400 is not exactly the kind of price I had in mind for mid-price range for a small ball head!! I thought mid-price for this would be something below $100 with a couple of quick release plates included?

Sandy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Paul,

I read your reviews and found them very interesting, and I am sure the Really Right Stuff RH-40 is a great ball head. But $400 is not exactly the kind of price I had in mind for mid-price range for a small ball head!! I thought mid-price for this would be something below $100 with a couple of quick release plates included?

Sandy
    Ya but Sandy, your idea of medium format is 8x10 LOL!
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you're looking for at or around $100, Bogen/Manfrotto makes a decent ballhead with Q/R plate in that price range. The downside is that it is a single control knob for both the ball tension and the pan control for the head, so forget about doing multi-frame panoramics with it, or anything that requires horizontal panning. I used to use one with my Shen Hao until I tried to shoot a two-frame panoramic, and the head popped loose and the camera flopped all over the place, so my frames didn't line up anymore, and I had no starting point to return to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Bogen, um, 55 I think. It's a ballhead that cost around $50 10 years ago. It's either locked, or loose; and it uses those awkward bogen hex plate quick releases. So it's no ARCA, but it does hold firmly once locked down, and the quick release does work, but it's bulky and you have to be quite careful to make sure that it's seated properly. I think I still have mine somewhere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Paul,

Sandy
    Hi Sandy,

I don't know of any good small/medium ball head in that price range with an Arca Swiss type QR and a couple of QR plates. I think you may have to rethink your cost estimate or go with something very cheap and questionable for it's holding power and functional nature.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1 View Post
    Hi Sandy,

I don't know of any good small/medium ball head in that price range with an Arca Swiss type QR and a couple of QR plates. I think you may have to rethink your cost estimate or go with something very cheap and questionable for it's holding power and functional nature.

Rich
    Well, I see a number of Bogen/Manfrotto, Velbon and Giotto ball heads that are rated for up to about 13 lbs for under $100 that look like they might serve my needs, which is to use on my Gitzo G-2220 for air travel and use with light weight Fuji 645 and 690 rangefinder cameras. I already have a really nice pan and tilt head for this tripod, which is the one I would use around home from the car with heavier medium format SLR or my 5X7 (or even 7X17 in calm conditions).

I also want a head with separate levels for measuring level front and back and sideways and I see a rather inexpensive Giotto that has that feature.

And thanks to everyone for all of the good information. I checked out every one of the suggestions offered and learned a lot in doing so.

Sandy King
    Last edited by sanking; 10-02-2006 at 07:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Sandy,

Markins has a new Ball head that is available for $269.99 from Nikonians- the Q3 Emille Ball Head It may be adequate. In includes the Arca Swiss type QR. You may again think that this is too expensive. But, it is less expensive than the M10 or M20. It weighs 13.6 oz with a load capacity of 65 lbs. Here is the link from Nikonians:

https://www.photoproshop.com/usa/pro...32257369cbaa2e

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ohhhhh,

$100 bucks is a bit below mid range now a days for a good ball head, I would suggest looking at some of the bogen stuff, I did pick up a Canon ball head a few years ago, that gets alot of use, but it was still about $150...

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for the link. I had looked at the MH-1001, or a version that has a quick release plate, at the B&H site and thought that it might fillmy need at a reasonable price. Is this the one you have? I don't know much about Giotto. Is it on the same level as Manfrotto?

Sandy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin