Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,370   Online: 810

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No, I don't have a quick release plate on mine...

For a few years Giotto has had a rather poor reputation, as their ball heads tended to "seize up" at the wrong moment. Giotto now claim to have rectified this problem, and judging from the performance of the head I have they're right. It's exceptionally smooth-working, yet locking easily in place at whatever angle you might want to shoot. Yet with a slight loosenig of the locking knob it is also capable if infinitesimal adjustments.

Ant that's all I really ask of a ball head: That it moves when I want it to move, it moves exactly as much as I want it to move, and it stays put when I want it too.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Thanks for the link. I had looked at the MH-1001, or a version that has a quick release plate, at the B&H site and thought that it might fillmy need at a reasonable price. Is this the one you have? I don't know much about Giotto. Is it on the same level as Manfrotto?

Sandy
    Hi Sandy,

None of those are the one that I have. Actually, I have quite a number of ball heads including the original Arca Swiss Monoball, the Arca Swiss B1, Linhof Profi II and the Markins M20. I was debating getting the M10 earlier in the year but I got the M20 instead. I wanted it for my Linhof Technikardan 45S for Backpacking. I decided for the small amount of weight difference to get the stronger head that would be smoother under the load.

I probably like my Markins head the best of all that I have. I did purchase it as a Left version without their Arca type QR. Instead, I purchased a Kirk QR. I learned using the L version which is on my original Arca Swiss Monoball and my Linhof Profi II. The Arca Swiss B1 is an R version and I never felt as comfortable with this orientation. That is why I purchased the L version for the Markins M20. The photo of the new Markins Q3 Emille shows the L version.

When I purchased my new head, the Q3 Emille Ball Head was not available and has only been available for a very short time.

As Dave says though for a a good Ball head even $150 is even a bit on the low end, especially if you want an Arca type QR. No way getting around it but the Arca type QR has become the pro's choice for QR. It is expensive and even the cheapest clamps still run about $50 to $100. The Markins head includes their new clamp for the price listed in my previous post.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, for better or worse, and on the general advice of Ole re: Giotto heads, I am going with this one. Get the head, four Q/R plates and shipping for abo,ut $160.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Sandy King

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    Ya but Sandy, your idea of medium format is 8x10 LOL!
    Eric,

OK, it is true that I have some fairly big cameras, but pan and tilt heads are all I use for them. Those little ball heads just don't have the balls for the really big boys.

The ball head I want to buy is for two *small* boys, a Fuji GW 690III and a GSW 690III, and for a midget, the Fujifilm GA 645Zi.

Sandy

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 10-02-2006 at 11:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Well, for better or worse, and on the general advice of Ole re: Giotto heads, I am going with this one. Get the head, four Q/R plates and shipping for abo,ut $160.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Sandy King
    Hi Sandy,

Inexpensive but I hope good head. Hope things work well for you and you like their QR system. It is a bit heavy for its holding power. My substantially stronger Markins M20 only weighs 20.4 oz with the Kirk Arca Type QR with 99 lb holding power. The Giotto head that you are getting with their QR weighs 22 oz with ability to support 22 lbs.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've never been satisfied with manfrotto qr plates or ballheads. I've now got an acratech ballhead (v2) and kirk 'L' bracket for my mamiya 7 and kirk plate for my RB. This combo is noticebly more solid.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by m_liddell View Post
    I've never been satisfied with manfrotto qr plates or ballheads. I've now got an acratech ballhead (v2) and kirk 'L' bracket for my mamiya 7 and kirk plate for my RB. This combo is noticebly more solid.
    Sorry to borrow this thread Sandy.

I too like the Mamiya 7/7II Kirk L bracket for the Arca Swiss type QR. It works great making it easy to switch from horizontal to vertical.

Here is the Kirk link for anyone interested that is reading this thread:

http://www.kirkphoto.com/lbracketso.html

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BL7IIbig.jpg  
    Last edited by naturephoto1; 10-03-2006 at 08:35 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Signature
    Richard A. Nelridge

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1 View Post
    Hi Sandy,

Inexpensive but I hope good head. Hope things work well for you and you like their QR system. It is a bit heavy for its holding power. My substantially stronger Markins M20 only weighs 20.4 oz with the Kirk Arca Type QR with 99 lb holding power. The Giotto head that you are getting with their QR weighs 22 oz with ability to support 22 lbs.

Rich

Since I don't plan to use anything on the head over about 3.5 lbs there should be no problem with how much the Giotto supports. In fact, I started to buy a smaller one since 22 lbs is more support than is needed. I am much more concerned about how smooth it works since Ole mentioned some problem in this regard with older units.

But I am curious why there would be such a big difference in capability between the Marks M20, which as you say has 99 lbs of holding power, and the Giotto which can support only 22 lbs. Are these equivalent terms?

Sandy

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The problem with the older units wasn't the holding power, but that the "socket" tended to come unstuck - always at the worst possible moment, of course. When I was looking for a smaller ball head for the smaller cameras I checked the available information thoroughly, and found that the manufacturer had redesigned the ball heads to get rid of that problem, and that no such problem had ever been reported with the newer units. Since all reports of the older ones were positive until the moment of "disaster" (it didn't drop the camera or anything, just stopped holding), I felt confident that the new & improved version would be exellent. So far mine has been. Even the low-end one is very easy to both set and adjust, so easy that my wife adopted it immediately for her macro shots. I may have to buy one more if I want to get to use it...
    Norway

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh - about "holding power".

I don't think there is any defined standard for reporting the holding power. I would use those numbers only as an indication of the relative strength of different heads from one manufacturer. Comparing manufacturer "A"'s heads to "B"'s on that basis has very doubtful value.
    Norway

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin