Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,052   Posts: 1,561,204   Online: 1033

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Ball Head for Medium Format

I am interested in acquiring a ball head for my Gitzo 2220. This would be for use with medium format equipment. Looking for a sturdy and functional unit in the mid-price range.

Any suggestions?

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey Sandy,

Take a look at some of the Arca Swiss gear, nice stuff and they have a few that will handle Medium format gear.

Hope things are well

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Sandy,

These may be a bit more than you may like, but you may want to look at the Markins M10 and the Markins M20 Ball heads. These can be ordered from Nikonians or also from Markins America (in British Columbia, CA). These are very strong, well reviewed and thought of, very well made, smooth operating Heads. They can be purchased with or without an Arca type QR. They are also the only ball heads that I know of available in both a left (L) handed or regular (R -right handed) version for operation.

R
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an ARCA, and it's nice; but if I we're in the market, I'd seriously look at a Really Right Stuff head. Paul Butzi has a nice review on his site: www.butzi.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an Arca Swiss Ball Head (and Really Right Stuff Mounting Plates) which I use with my MF and LF cameras (including my Wehman 8x10).

I like my Arca Swiss Ball Head a lot, but I am looking with Lust at the new Really Right Stuff Ball Head.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Look at a Gitzo 12-series ball head- they have them in traditional and off-center ball configurations. I have one (the 1245 I think is the model #) with the off-center ball, and the quick-release. I have used it for my Hasselblad system as well as my Shen-Hao 4x5, and it has been more than up to the job. It's one of the magnesium-alloy ones, so it is quite light, and I'm pretty sure I paid less than $250 for it. Look at what Henry's has for sale on Ebay- they sell off a lot of good Gitzo gear for very reasonable prices - most of it new in box, or in-store demo stuff, so not too badly used, and frequently cheaper than B&H.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm using Manfrotto 484 ball head with my Hassy. Works just fine and was quite affordable.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm using a Giotto head for "smaller" cameras (up to 645 and light 4x5"), and a big UniLock head for 645 SLR and big cameras (4x5" to 12x16").

Both relatively low cost, but really nice to work with.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sandy, by far the best I have used for medium format is the acratech. Weights less than a pound and supports up to 25 lbs.

http://acratech.net/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I am interested in acquiring a ball head for my Gitzo 2220. This would be for use with medium format equipment. Looking for a sturdy and functional unit in the mid-price range.

Any suggestions?

Sandy
    As Peter pointed out, I'm a big fan of the Really Right Stuff heads. I bought the larger BH-55, and when it arrived I liked it so much that I immediately bought a BH-40 as well.

The BH-40 is small, light, and at $375 probably qualifies as mid-price range. I like the little BH-40 far better than the Acratech; it's smoother in use, locks down as securely, and has a much nicer clamp. The controls are far easier to use with cold/stiff fingers. It is only marginally heavier than the Acratech. It is, however, about $100 more expensive.

My review of the BH-40 is at http://www.butzi.net/reviews/rrsbh40.htm

My review of the Acratech Ultimate is at http://www.butzi.net/reviews/acratech%20ultimate.htm

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin