Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,762   Posts: 1,516,168   Online: 980

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Help! What did I do to my "new" 503cxi?

So I just got my "new via eBay" Hassey 503cxi - my first foray into MF.

So with absolute ignorance and stupidity, I wound the crank on the side figuring to just dry shoot the camera and hear a nice click.

Well in wound real nice - but I cannot trigger the shutter!

I am guessing it needs a battery? I also have no idea where it would go (this eBay special did not include a manual). I removed the lens and see a small silver button/knob but it doesn't seem to turn.

I'm going over to Craig's Camera Manual website now to get a manual - meanwhile, any suggestion on what to do to either get a battery in this (and what kind) and/or get the shutter to fire?

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    pull the dark slide

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    pull the dark slide
    Dave,

Thanks, it worked. But something seems weird here. I tried doing that earlier and it didn't fire. Now I read your post and it does.

Do you have special "powers"? :o

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Perhaps he has great camera-fu?
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    Perhaps he has great camera-fu?
    As Bugs Bunny would say" "Hmmm, it's a possibility..."

Meanwhile, I did order a manual (acutally both a user and repair) so I can actually figure out this beauty.

Oh, gosh, why did I do this to myself? Now I'm getting GAS pangs - additional lenses, backs, VF's - OMG! :o

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm thinking of taking the Pentax 67 route, myself. Seems like a bulky old thing, but from what I've seen it takes good photos.
    Last edited by Stephanie Brim; 10-04-2006 at 06:28 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: I can't punctuate today.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    I'm thinking of taking the Pentax 67 route, myself. Seems like a bulky old thing, but from what I've seen it takes good photos.
    Cameras don't take pictures, people do, the camera is just a light tight box that allows the film to be maintained in a light tight storage area until such time as a person decides it is time to push the shutter button and allow a specific amount of light in to make the exposure.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dave, if I didn't know you better I'd think you were trying to discourage the young lady from acting on her impulses.

Cheers,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dan,

I would never do anything like that, but to understand that the camera don't take the picture, the person does, is basic photography 101, I learned that in my first class many moons ago, as far as the pentax 67, it is probably one of the best MF cameras ever made, I have owned many of them over the years.

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    Dan,

I would never do anything like that, but to understand that the camera don't take the picture, the person does, is basic photography 101, I learned that in my first class many moons ago, as far as the pentax 67, it is probably one of the best MF cameras ever made, I have owned many of them over the years.

Dave
    [FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]

Very interesting Dave, but I do take exception with your quote of "concentrate on the photo not the glass".

If it's not Zeiss (for all formats) or Leica (35mm specific), then it's just not worth it. Personally, I refuse to shoot with any other glass. And you can't tell me there's no difference.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [/FONT]

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin