Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,267   Online: 781

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Hasselblad: How does it work?

I was wondering how the Hasselblad SLR works... I know my 35mm SLR has a lens, mirror, shutter, and film (in that order). The lens is unobstructed to peek through while composing a photo. A Hasselblad, with its "in the lens" leaf shutter, would get in the way of this wouldn't it? I am not sure how the shutter must be open (to compose per an SLR), then shut, flip up the mirror, fire the shutter,and let the mirror drop down again. All this with the assumption the mirror is light-tight to prevent film exposure. Is there some really simple explination I do not realize?

I don't own a hassy, just REALLY curious!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When the lens is cocked, it is open and you are able to look through it. When you fire it, the lens is closed and then you wind it, to open it back up.

And yes, the mirror inside the body is light tight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, actually E-6, David is close. The mirror isn't light tight but it sits perched in front of a rear shutter curtain that opens and closes when you press the camera release. So, when you hit the shutter release, the lens stops down, the mirror goes up, the rear curtain opens and then the shutter in the lens opens and closes and the rear curtain closes as well. Winding the camera sends the mirror back to it's pre-release position, recocks the shutter in the lens and... voi la !!!.

Now, can David and I go shopping with you to show you which models to take for a test drive??? <G>
    Take it light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can download the manuals for the various Hassies at: www.hasselblad.co.uk

Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks guys.. these things are quite amazing with all the stuff they do to give us a picture...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    E-6, I think that same thing often when I release the shutter on my Hassie. The shutter closes, the lens stops down, the rear curtains open, the shutter opens and exposes the film, and the shutter closes again, all in less time than it takes me to blink. And all of this with a bunch of gears and springs, and not a chip in sight! Amazing!

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ...by magic and acts of god...
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    E6, if you're in the Twin Cities, go over to West Photo up in Nordeast (University and Hennepin, give or take a block) and ask Kyle to give you a test drive.

If you get bit by the bug, you can rent one for a day or two and get REALLY hooked.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unless you want to try an RB, bit of a tank, but the negative size enlarges better into 8x10/16x20.

erie

Images
    When I worked in a studio where I had to shoot Hasselblad, I always used the ELMs because I found the black out after the exposure so annoying.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin