Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,854   Posts: 1,582,941   Online: 996

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Argg, X-contact on SL66 kaputt!!

My SL66 stopped fireing my flash. I use the 2.8 planar with syngrnisation time of 1/30 but noithing happens. Does any of you have a repair manual of the SL66 or have any idea hat the problem can be? The camera functiones okee otherwies.

Thanks Jaap Jan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you tried a new cable?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    With older cameras, the main reason for flash malfunction is likely to be a corroded PC socket. Do you have a multimeter? Can you do a continuity test as you fire the shutter? The answer is probably a new socket - I personally would let a repairman do this, the cost will not be great. As an emergency measure, it can be worth rotating the cable plug in the socket, this may remove corrosion.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I had that problem with one of my Bronicas of similar vintage and it was a bad wire between the shutter and the PC socket. Sometimes it can also be oxidation on the flash contacts in the shutter.

In any case, it's usually an easy fix, and probably a sign that the camera is due for regular service anyway. I'd just send it for a general CLA to your favorite repair shop and mention the flash sync and any other specific repair issues the camera may have.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    When problems arise with using the flash and everything set as it should be and the flash does not fire, or displays a hit and miss pattern in a very large majority of cases it will require using a different cable.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi,
    have you tried to use the flash with 1/15 or 1/8, i heard the sl 66 looses flash connection first at 1/30.
    So if you don´t want to use surrounding light this may be a solution.
    Greetings from Germany

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't had it happen, but I think it should still fire at 1/30 even if the flash synch speed is deteriorating. What I would expect to see is blacked out portions of the frame at 1/30.

Are you certain you had it set to 1/30? I would still try slower speeds too because perhaps you know that the SL66 has an interlock that disconnects the X-synch socket at 1/60 and higher? That scared the pants off me once when I got my SL66 back from an expensive service in California and the flash didn't fire! So in addition to the continuity, its possible this interlock is also not functioning properly. Mine worked fine once I remembered to set 1/30 with flash.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin