Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,681   Posts: 1,482,196   Online: 1062

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

CLA'ing a Bessa I

Hello all,

I just bought a Bessa I and am wondering if anyone know of a good place in Canada to have older folding cameras like this CLA'd.

Thanks.

Henry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not in Canada, but Jurgen (www.certo6.com) specializes in these.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    If sending stuff across the border weren't such a hassle, I'd post the camera to Jurgen. However, I'm trying to find someone here in Canada, if possible.

Henry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd say Good Luck because Canada really isn't the acme of technical expertise. In Montreal the one place I go for my repairs is AFC Camera (514) 397-9505. They have very competent technicians, but their expertise on folders might not be as thourough as Jurgen's.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Where are you located? This is a big country you know

I really have to disagree with the previous post. There are some superb camera service shops in this country, e.g. Kindermann.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I'm in Calgary, but I don't have a problem sending elsewhere in Canada if someplace or someone has folder experience.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kovacs View Post
    Where are you located? This is a big country you know

I really have to disagree with the previous post. There are some superb camera service shops in this country, e.g. Kindermann.
    I guess their publicity might be lacking because what I have found in Montreal is a rather empy landscape.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    what I have found in Montreal is a rather empy landscape.
    Southern Ontario rivalry kicking-in - I have to agree In any case, I service my own cameras so the best place is home.

Henry: I haven't worked on a Bessa I before but I could service that camera for you if you're interested. Its not a complex camera by any stretch of the imagination. I have worked on other Voigt folders like Vito II, Perkeo II, various Agfa folders, and many Zeiss folders incl the Super Ikontas. Folders are pretty straightforward - the Rolleiflexes, Contax RFs etc are a lot more complex.

PM me if interested (I'm in London Ontario). I'd like to know what is going wrong with it - new bellows (if required) are generally expensive but I can get them for much cheaper than Juergen K's. Simple shutter and lens service is straightforward and fast. What is normally unfixable is if you have a misaligned lens standard from an impact.

If you click the link HERE, Hagar is a "travelling" 6x9 Agfa folder I brought back to life and is currently on a worldwide trip. If you like the quality coming out of even a cheap 6x9 with a triplet lens and 4 speed shutter, you'll be very pleased with a properly functioning Bessa for sure!
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin