Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,982   Online: 893

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Ha. If I go to the right lab I can get 120 E-6 in 2 hours and C-41 or B&W in 3 hours. If I go to another lab I can get 120 C-41 overnight, but E-6 in 2 or 3 days (and no B&W at all). If I go to my favorite lab (sarcastically speaking), 120 C-41 in 2 or 3 weeks and no E-6 or B&W. I'll bet NYC has plenty of labs that have various turnaround times also -- some much better than others.
    Hrm ya, allied in my area I think switched their E6 from 3 hours to 24 hours, and they used to do black and white in 24-48, but i think its longer now.

I think the various turn around times are probally how much money the first receiver of the roll wishes to make.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Well I got the film back and it was a disaster. No images, frames or anything. Thinking at the shop is that the camera has a light leak - but I'm not sure if that's the case.

They asked me to bring it in for a tech to look at. I'll do that (after all this was an "eBay special"). But, if I have time (and the weatherman cooperates) I will shoot a test roll this weekend and take it a different place.

Here's what I did to shoot. Loaded the film as per the Hassey manual instructions. Set the shutter speed and aperture on the lens (the day I shot was a Sunny/16). Wound the shutter crank. Removed the dark slide and shot.

Sometimes I replaced the dark slide before advancing the film - sometimes not.

After roll was done, I fully wound out the film onto the take-up spool so the paper was all I saw when I removed it.

I cannot think of what I did wrong such that I'm willing to explore the possibility of a light leak - but if I can do a test roll, the other shop can turn the film around in a day or two so I can be certain before I agree to incur a probably costly repair expense.

Did you make sure to slip the film under the little metal tab on the film back when loading? Very doubtful its a light leak if nothing was seen at all, you'd have bands, fogging, patterns, maybe some impression of an image, etc. You using a Typical A12 back?

Any possibilities you can take a 'picture' of the strip for further inspection? Doesnt have to be a scan or anything, just a general shot of the way it looks.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanbennett120 View Post
    What a drag. No frames even? Maybe you spooled the film outbackward so the film wasn't facing the right way
    Oh, George... I'm so sorry to hear this. What jonathanbennett suggests (above) is what came to my mind first. Are the negs clear (orange) or black. A light leak would have fully exposed or "smeared" the neg. No exposure at all... well, would leave the neg clear.

Think hard about how you loaded the back. The correct way "feels" backward.

Have you previously checked the mechanism to make sure that the shutter fires correctly and the barn-doors open/close?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Get some 120 color film mailers A& I from aandi.com or B&H.
    It is a good lab.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sbelyaev View Post
    Get some 120 color film mailers A& I from aandi.com or B&H.
    It is a good lab.
    Oooor get some cheap B&W film and develop yourself to test for camera inconsistancy. (like shutter not actually opening.)
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think this is a loading problem, are you sure you haven`t exposed the paper backing?
    Even if you hadn`t slip the film under the metal clamp and therefore uneven spacing, bad frame positioning could happen, blank negatives you wouldn`t have.
    Rethink your loading procedure.

Cheers

André

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    At this point - I'm leaning to the explanation "operator error"!

Several good points made and notes taken (including via PM). Particularly the note that I should have at least seen frames. Unfortunately, I left the film strip with the shop to hold pending inspection of the camera so cannot post an example.

Unfortunately tomorrow's early weather forecast here is for a deluge - but they hold out hope for some clearing late in the day.

This time, I'll be very careful how I load and give it another try with the recommendations here in mind.

Oh, and this time I'll shoot some Ilford XP-2 and take it to a different place for processing!

EDIT: Yep, reviewing the film loading procedure I think I blew it the first time! Oh well, every mistake is a learning experience!

Will try again, weather permitting!
    Last edited by copake_ham; 10-27-2006 at 10:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Easy enough to do...

At this point - I'm leaning to the explanation "operator error"!
    EDIT: Yep, reviewing the film loading procedure I think I blew it the first time! Oh well, every mistake is a learning experience!

Will try again, weather permitting!
    A few years back, when I first went to 120 on my Mamiya645 , I loaded a roll backwards on about the 3rd or 4th roll. Should have known what I was doing by then, but there you go.

Was given a 503CW by my wife for my birthday back in June. I am certain, as has been suggested, that once you get your first roll back you will go W O W ! ! ! or similar. I hope it's soon for you

Regards
    Glenn

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here's a website that shows you how to correctly load the back. It's german but I think the pictures are self explanatory: http://www.stefanheymann.de/501cm/fi...egen/index.htm

As far as labs are concerned. I'm really happy with a new pro lab I found. It's just 5-10 minutes away from where I live. They're all analog and don't do digital at all. And the best thing is they do E6 in one hour.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The shop I brought them too (on 10/16) sent them to the Great Yellow Father for processing (even though the Green Giant of the East had made the film).
    ? All the labs I go to, especially in NYC turn around development, contact sheet and CD of low res scans within 24hours. And they do it on site.

What lab did you send it to? I wouldn't go there again.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin