Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,817   Online: 1106

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Shot my first roll with the 503CXi - now what?

So with great fear and trepidation this 35mm'er finally got up the courage to load the "new" Hassey with film and shoot out a roll.

I used Fuji Pro 160. Yes, color stuff - sorry, old habits die hard - but it was the last weekend up here for Autumn colors.

So now, when I bring it in to be developed, what do I ask for?

Do they know what size prints to make w/o my specifying?

You see, with 35mm I often just get "develop-only" and do a scan. But I cannot scan 120 with my current Nikon scanner. And when I do ask for prints - I just take the "usual".

Please advise so I don't look like a totally idiotic "newbie" when I bring in this roll of (probably over/under exposed) film in on Monday morning!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depends whether your lab is run by idiots or not When I work with square format, I always ask for them to put the whole frame inside the rectangle of my choice (e.g. if I ask for 4x6, I would end up with a 4x4 picture and a white border. That's what croppers are for).
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take the film to a pro lab. They will process and print proofs 5x5. The prints are usually 65 to 100 cents each; processing about 250 cents or so. Some labs will print 4x4. Tell them EXACTLY what you want... and they will do it. I've only once had a lab crop my frames to 4x6 when I specifically requested "full frame proofs"... it was the last time I used that lab.
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 10-14-2006 at 10:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    p.s. Congrats on using your Hassy for the first time. It was quite fun, wasn't it? What did you shoot??

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Take the film to a pro lab. They will process and print proofs 5x5. The prints are usually 65 to 100 cents each; processing about 250 cents or so. Some labs will print 4x4. I've only once had a lab crop my frames to 4x6 when I specifically requested "full frame proofs"... it was the last time I used that lab.
    Hi Brian,

Got the CD.

Thanks - snail mail is actually pretty quick.

The folks I go to are pretty saavy - guess I'll ask them what to do. I figure I probably "blew" this roll just getting used to all the settings etc.

First time with anything is always a bit of a "challenge" - reminds me of being a teenager and trying to figure out how to remove a clasp while...OOPS - better stop here, new police powers and all....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Hi Brian,

Got the CD.

Thanks - snail mail is actually pretty quick.

The folks I go to are pretty saavy - guess I'll ask them what to do. I figure I probably "blew" this roll just getting used to all the settings etc.

First time with anything is always a bit of a "challenge" - reminds me of being a teenager and trying to figure out how to remove a clasp while...OOPS - better stop here, new police powers and all....
    You'll love the 503Cxi. It doesn't have the retracting mirror, but in all other respects is identical to the 503CW. It has through the lens flash metering (you'll have to get a module for your flash) and will take the CW winder if you decide to add one.

I've had mine for ten years now and it's still functioning perfectly after having received some pretty outrageous abuse.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The folks I go to are pretty saavy - guess I'll ask them what to do.
    That's my definition of "pro lab." I use two different labs: one is a camera shop that services a local university; the other is a 'wedding' lab that has gone mostly digital. Both do a great job with slightly different style of service. Both do proc + 5x5 proof for 120. If specially requested the camera store will do 4x4 proof. All of this in 2 hour service. Negs come back sleeved in a rolled-up strip, all neatly packaged in a cardboard box.

The wedding lab takes FOREVER... two to three weeks (due to the low number of wedding photgs shooting film, they say). The proofs are 5x5 and are exceptional quality. They package each neg separately in plastic pouch that is imprinted with the roll number, neg number, and exposure/printing data. (likewise, the proofs are marked with roll number, neg number, and exposure/printing data... as well as copyright notice). The separate neg packaging makes storage and filing very convenient. In many ways I like this better than rolled or sleeved negs, but the processing wait-time makes me bite my nails too much. One time my courier (wife) went by their shop three days in a row only to hear the same story -- they didn't have enough film to justify a processing run. The owner then mentioned that he lived only a few streets aways from us so now he hand-delivers my processed order. Very convenient!

The local run-of-the-mill camera stores provided anything from mediocre to lousy 120 service. The mediocre one processed in 24 hours. Good negs, but consistently dirty proofs. The lousy one... well, they did l-o-u-s-y 120 work and worse B&W. I like that shop for equipment and film buys, but that's about all.

Re: what you shot and how you may have "blew" the film... I doubt it. For one thing, there is learning value in all errors (so I've heard ). Like everything new there is a learning curve. But you know the basics so it's mostly a matter of "getting into the (slower) flow". If you didn't do it this time, just wait until you put that camera on a tripod. It very well may take your breath away.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So with great fear and trepidation this 35mm'er finally got up the courage to load the "new" Hassey with film and shoot out a roll.

I used Fuji Pro 160. Yes, color stuff - sorry, old habits die hard - but it was the last weekend up here for Autumn colors.

So now, when I bring it in to be developed, what do I ask for?

Do they know what size prints to make w/o my specifying?

You see, with 35mm I often just get "develop-only" and do a scan. But I cannot scan 120 with my current Nikon scanner. And when I do ask for prints - I just take the "usual".

Please advise so I don't look like a totally idiotic "newbie" when I bring in this roll of (probably over/under exposed) film in on Monday morning!

Proof prints or a contact sheet are good ways to go - it depends upon the lab. If you go to e pro lab with a lot of streamlined operations (becoming more rare, but not out of the question) - proof prints are the way to go and likely cheaper. Otherwise to a contact sheet (6x6 is large enough to see if you got it right) - but be sure that it is a photogrpahic contact sheet and not a D&^*%*L one as those can be pretty bad.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out!

You could also have them scan the negative - though that could get expensive unless it is one of those streamlined operations.
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Shooter
    35mm
    I remember talking to attorneys from NYC, Copake and Tuscon. They always advised me to seek advice, before not after, doing things. But what would a lawyer know?
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft View Post
    I remember talking to attorneys from NYC, Copake and Tuscon. They always advised me to seek advice, before not after, doing things. But what would a lawyer know?
    Isn't the old saying "Ask for forgiveness, but not permission?" Hmmm, maybe this advice is what keeps the courts busy and lawyers making billable hours? I'll take your advice rather then mine!
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin