Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,357   Online: 771

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A good, wide neopreme neckstrap will help. I've also used a good hip-belt camera pack to take weight off neck and shoulders.

I understand the 220 series is lighter, but I don't know how much lighter.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I often walk around with my C330 on a monopod, it's heavy but it's worth the effort. The best part is no one ever mistakes it for digiscrap although I do get the odd person ask if its a movie camera.
    She: What do you do for a living?
    Me: I take pictures.
    She: Oh, you're a photographer.
    Me: No,... I'm an art thief. :)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    I understand the 220 series is lighter, but I don't know how much lighter.
    Not much.

The Mamiyaflex is a fine camera, but no lightweight – I normally use mine on a tripod – nut is lighter than my 5x4 technical outfit. Choice depends on how rugged the terrain...

Richard

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Minolta Autocord. Half the weight, all the quality. Running $125 - $150 on evilbay these days.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I own a C33 and while it is a wonderful camera it is not something that I would wish to carry about for several hours. Remember it has no light meter and is limited to 12 exposures per roll. And while it is possible to change lenses in the field it helps if one has more than two arms like a Hindu diety. All this must really be entered into the equation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooki View Post
    I often walk around with my C330 on a monopod, it's heavy but it's worth the effort. The best part is no one ever mistakes it for digiscrap although I do get the odd person ask if its a movie camera.
    LOL someone thought my RB67 was a video camera. So yea been there done that.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli View Post
    Minolta Autocord. Half the weight, all the quality. Running $125 - $150 on evilbay these days.
    Right on! The Minolta Autocord shoots great and is quite small and light compared to the Mamiyas (I know because I have a C330S, C220, two Autocords, and two Rolleiflexes).

The Autocord's 75/3.5 Rokkor is tack sharp. Another advantage of Autocords: film rolls from the top spool to bottom spool with no bending of the film on corner. The bottom lever for the helicoid focusing can be broken on these - just make sure it works smoothly, and that the front face of the camera has never been hit hard.

I recently replaced the dim viewing screen in my user Autocord with a grid/split image screen available from another APUG member, and it works great. Highly recommended.

R.J.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have direct comparison experience of the Mamiya 6, the C33/C330/C220, YashicaMat, and a Zeiss folder (amazing what you collect over a few decades). Using my own data (http://www.btinternet.com/~g.a.patte...tml#Heading141) The C220 with a standard lens will put you around 500g/1 lb heaver than the YashicaMat. Put some weights in a bag and go for a walk to see how it feels.

The YashicaMat gets used for casual walks. The Mamiyas tend to be used for trips with a definite photographic plan (and where an alternative lens might be useful). I use a monopod rather than an L-grip. The others are usually reserved for travel.

Everyone has their own tolerance for weight and bulk. Remember, the best camera for the job is the one you have with you!
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The C220 is definitely lighter than the C330, so if weight is the deciding issue...

I've used my C330 a lot to shoot weddings. Generally, that is with the left hand trigger grip and a prism finder (not the porrofinder). It is heavy, but I've had a chance to get used to it, and don't mind.

One thing to consider, however, is that due to the fact that these cameras use a bellows to focus, a lot of weight and bulk is in the camera, rather than the lenses. My 55mm, 80mm, 135mm kit with C330 body compares favourably in weight and bulk to my Mamiya 645 Pro SLR with 55mm, 80mm and 150mm kit.

If you want to go even lighter, a C220 with WLF and 65mm and 135mm lenses is also a pleasure to use. Unfortunately, the trigger on the trigger grip wont trigger it .

Here's a link to a shot I took with my C220 on the ferry between the mainland and Vancouver Island last year. The camera, two lenses, a meter and some film fit nicely in a small camera bag:

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...24&ppuser=6479

Matt
    Last edited by MattKing; 10-16-2006 at 04:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hauling my C330s and two lensets (close to 7 pounds) up and down rough country led me to purchase my Zeiss Ikon folder.

K.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin