Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,551   Online: 1093

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I owned a C330 for a couple years and finally decided to sell it. It's a great camera, seemingly archaic design that actually turns out to be very well laid out.

I enjoy cameras I can handhold comfortably, and the nail in the coffin for this camera was a trip to the Colorado Rockies. I hiked up the side of a mountain and up part of a glacier with this beast, cursing it every time it swung and battered me in the chest. I got some great photos, but I wished I had brought one of my 35mm rangefinders instead.

Ultimately, it's a great camera. However, it is *not* in the same ballpark in size and weight as the Rollei's or Autocords. It's a substantial tool that may be best suited for tripods and more leisurely strolls and hikes. FWIW, the next year I went to Colorado I took a Canonet QL17 and a load of HP5+ and the whole experience was much more pleasant I even took it snowmobiling! The Mamiya would have knocked my butt off the snowmobile had it been bouncing around in front of me.

My $.02
    "Technology is a big destroyer of emotion and truth. Opportunity doesn't do anything for creativity. Yeah, it makes it easier and you can get home sooner, but it doesn't make you a more creative person. That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field.. ease of use." - Jack White

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mamiya c3 and c220 have been my walking around cameras for the past 20 years. I did street shooting in NYC for several years and people reacted much more naturally to me with the TLR than they did with the 35mm. I have used them hiking & camping and I have a padded case that I strap to the panniers on my bicycle. But as I get more purposeful in my photography and less opportunistic, I have changed my strategy of using them a bit.

Originally, I used an original Domke bag to carry the lenses, filters, prism finder and light meter in and I selected 1 body to take - - B&W in the c220 or E-6 in the c3. Now, I have a large saltwater reel bag that lets me take everything with me in the car, and then I can put off the E-6/B&W decision until I get where I'm going - - or even 2 bodies with the samee film but 2 different lenses. I have 4 lenses: 2x80mm, 65mm, 180mm.

I almost always use a MF L-bracket and a wide neck strap if it is going to be a long day, and I also carry a monopod and tripod in the car, to support a last minute decision-making process. I also throw the Domke in the bag to use with my equipment selection once I wander off from the car.

If worse comes to worse, I also have a large padded computer backpack that I can fit everything into plus the tripod or monopod for a long walk into the woods - - the same back I use for my 4x5 kit.

I wouldn't have it any other way... I love the c3 & c220 and, in fact, I always scan the *bay availability for a back-up, if I could ever afford it...

So I whole-heartedly support the c220/c330 as a general shooter. BTW, I also carry an Ansco 4.5 Special in my 35mm bag for taking real pictures...

Shooter
    Large Format

Carrying a C330

I owned one for several years and liked the system. I hiked with it extensively although it was rather heavy, even with a wide neck strap. I sold it because the camera was so big and different looking that people would stare at me to the point of my feeling unsafe. (No I'm not paranoid, my wife who generally hikes with me, also noticed it and told me to get rid of the camera)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have been using my C330 for a couple of years... I use it for travel... The body and 3 lenses pack nicely in my Domke, w/film... I also use it as a supplemental system at weddings.. For ambient shots. The square makes some great portraits. Its heavy, but with a waste level finder, you never have to raise it up.. You can just steady it while hanging from your neck... I'm pretty sure its lighter than my Pentax 645, which of course, you have to hold it up to your face.... So, think of it as weight used differently....

And there seems to be an almost endless supply of bodies and good condition black lenses and they all are very inexpensive...

I have lugged mine all over israel with 3 lenses and two different hoods. Not bad in the end. Quite livable and it is built like a tank.
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin