Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,444   Online: 786

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

The C330 as a carry-around camera?

I've had the itch for some time to get a camera for handheld square shots (my old Bronica SQ-A is somewhat limited in that regard, and I hate the EVS system on the Vb Rolleicord I picked up cheap).

Ideally, 'my' camera would be a Mamiya 6, but they're holding value quite well. Too well. Rolleiflexes are nice, but after a good CLA and new screen, they're right there with the Mamiya 6. Aside from the Yashica-Mat or Autocord (both options, but it seems fewer nice ones are popping up), that leads me to the late C220/C330. New, reliable, built like a tank, good optics... but built like a tank. Or so I've heard. Lots and lots of complaints, 'oh just get a Rolleiflex,' etc.

I'm not talking about going on hikes or anything, mostly an afternoon at the ballpark or time at roadside carnivals, wandering for a few hours at a time. Any reason to think that the C-series is unsuitable? Or are there any other issues that might make one less than ideal for carrying and handholding?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used a Mamiya C3 and C33 with a 65mm for a while, and I find them to be perfectly fine. While not as light as a lubitel 166U, Yashica/Seagull or Rollei they're probally one of the most pratical TLRs I've seen out there. And yes they're built quite nicely, while a C330 is the latest I've always held a fondness to the older models. I also own a Seagull (SA-85) and once owned a Yashica Mat-124G, so I know how that goes. Its pratical but some people may not like it's weight, its like trying to decide what you want to take to the fair, a RB67 or a 6x9 folder
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by celluloidpropaganda View Post
    I'm not talking about going on hikes or anything, mostly an afternoon at the ballpark or time at roadside carnivals, wandering for a few hours at a time. Any reason to think that the C-series is unsuitable? Or are there any other issues that might make one less than ideal for carrying and handholding?
    I use my C3 on exactly those occasions. It's not the lightest of cameras (but it *is* sturdy), but even a hike (I admit, it's a flat country here) isn't a reason to leave it at home.

On the other hand, if you are looking for a lightweight and small 6x6, look into folder cameras like the Agfa Isolette series.

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Multi Format

C330

I've carried my old C330 with 80mm lens (+ extra 55mm) around both India and Europe and US on two separate trips and encountered no problems. Sure they're 'built like a tank' but that weight is a small price to pay for toughness and reliability. Mine is an old one. Reading the beginning of this thread I understand it has been manufactured again? Is this why you called it 'new'? bm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you don't mind being limited to one the lens, you might like one of the better folders - e.g. Agfa Super Isolette, Super Ikonta, Super Baldax, Certo Six or my favourite, an Iskra. Much easier to carry around all day. The Certo probably being the most compact of them, but the VF on the Iskra (and similar Agfa) is pretty good for an old folder.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you want to use a Mamiya C330 handheld, a Mamiya L handle makes a big difference. If you want one and can't find one, I have one somewhere!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agreed, the trigger grip makes handling much easier. But even without, it's easy enough to use as a carry-around. I used to take mine hiking up in the mountains. Even did an ice-climb on pikes crag with it. Go for it!
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As an owner of a 330s I find the main benefit of the Mamiya is the interchangeable lens facility. Unless your intend utilizing this it makes sense to go for a lighter TLR for the purposes you describe. Light weight it is not.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a C33 I affectionately call my "Brick". It's one of my favourite cameras (I'm still looking for more of the black lenses) but not one I'd hang around my neck for a few hours. It certainly creates a stirr amongst the pigeons.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have found the Mamiya TLR's to be most reliable and have used mine (C2 and C3) for 30 years before putting them on the 'retirement shelf'. They are veterans of a few hundred weddings, so they have been well loved. The most vulnerable part is the film wind, and I have only needed to repair this twice in all those years of heavy use. Not the lightest of MF cameras, but definitely lighter than an RB or RZ. Go for it.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin