Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,015   Online: 941

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mamiya RB67 180 C Lens Dust Inside

I have a 180 C lens for my RB67 Pro S that has some dust or flecks of something behind the front element. If I gently tap the lens most of it settles.

Does anyone know if there is a way to clean them out or if it may affect the picture quality?

Marco

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unless it is heavy dust and a lot of it, I would not worry about it, at worst you might, just maybe get a small change in contrast, but many of my lenses have dust in them, due to the enviorments I shoot in and the black flocking inside them comming loose over the years, I have never noticed any problems in my pictures, so I would really not worry about it, of course this is only my opinion, others may have a different take on things. I have some lenses that have scratches, pretty deep ones at that on the front element and they don't affect my pictures either.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's very reassuring, thank you. I need to learn not to obsess over these things too much and take more pictures.

Marco

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been told that it's fairly common for medium format lenses with leaf shutters (shutter in the lens) to have dust. It can be tiny bits of metal that come off as the blades slide over each other in opening & closing. A good technician can open it up & clean out but mostly it doesn't affect the picture, so why bother.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It does not take a technician to clean out this lens. The large front element assembly unscrews quite readily from the shutter body. Once the forward elements have been unscrewed, it is a simple matter to open the aperature and shutter, blowing out any dust that has accumulated. I have done this to my 180, 90, and 65 C lenses. Just make sure that you do not cross thread when putting the lens back together, and tighten firmly. Otherwise, the lens assembly will twist when you put on a filter or shade coupler...
    Cheers,

Patrick

When you come to a fork in the road, take it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
    It does not take a technician to clean out this lens. The large front element assembly unscrews quite readily from the shutter body. Once the forward elements have been unscrewed, it is a simple matter to open the aperature and shutter, blowing out any dust that has accumulated. I have done this to my 180, 90, and 65 C lenses. Just make sure that you do not cross thread when putting the lens back together, and tighten firmly. Otherwise, the lens assembly will twist when you put on a filter or shade coupler...
    The flecks are inside the main element, not between the lens and shutter. Just behind the front element glass, as if static electricity is holding it there. But I do understand what you mean. Getting apart the large front element once removed from the lens body is what I can't seem to figure out. Best just leave it be, I suppose.

Marco

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Unless the dust is really bad, I doubt you will ever notice any effect. See:

www.certo6.com/gallery/planar.html
    JeffW.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It takes a spanner to unscrew the bezel (the part with the printing) from inside the lens. Then, the spanner is used to remove a jam nut that holds the front element assembly in. An alternate method is to unscrew the main element assembly from the shutter body, and remove the jam nut that holds the rear elements in place. Compressed air can then be directed to the back of the front element array.

But as Elox posts, chances are it is nothing that will impinge on the general quality of your image. I keep all of my lenses free of stuff like this just on GP...
    Cheers,

Patrick

When you come to a fork in the road, take it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You mean that they're not supposed to have dust inside them???? next you'll tell me that the front elements shouldnt' have scratches in them I bet.

erie

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    har har! good one erie.

i have a sekor 90mm that has bad dust. it never shows up.....ever. on my 250mm i accidently unscrewed the from element while trying to remove my polarizer. it is pretty easy to do.

don't fix it is it aint broke.

eddie

Quote Originally Posted by epatsellis View Post
    You mean that they're not supposed to have dust inside them???? next you'll tell me that the front elements shouldnt' have scratches in them I bet.

erie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin