Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,525   Online: 1065

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Problem with a Kaiser 10 m cord

Hi everyone! I bought approx. 10 m long cord by Kaiser (air pump) second hand. I really would need it but it doesn’t work. I press the pump but the stick that should loose the camera’s shutter just knocks the shutter but nothing more. There’s not enough power or something in it. Any thoughts what could be the reason? The cord itself is undamaged.
    - Heli

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a pneumatic release that I use on an old Wollensak Betax shutter. Since the shutter is self cocking, I have to squeeze the bulb very hard to trip the shutter. Could I ask, what camera are you using the release with?

Since the release is second hand, does it work OK when not on the camera?
    Happiness is a load of bulk chemicals, a handful of recipes, a brick of film and a box of paper. - desertrat

Shooter
    Large Format
    hi heli

i had a bulb shutter release just like the one you have.
    it worked nice for a little while, and then it stopped
    working. the "throw" stopped coming out and going in, as it
    had done before, and on one of them, the black part
    ( the part you hold when you screw the release into your camera )
    separated and fell apart.

unforunately i think these air-bulb releases are not made
    as well as they could be made. i decided to get a degroff shutter release
    - the rolls royce of shutter releases. it has a long hose and is beautifully made.
    i got mine new for about 65$ USD, but you can find olde degroff pneumatic cylinders
    (brass+engraved) on ebay,
    and buy surgical hose and a blood pressure cuff bulf and
    you will be good to go ...

good luck!

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've tried to use the release with my Hasselblad, Zeiss Ikon Nettar and now Linhof Colour. Doesn't work with camera, but "works" ok, when not plugged in. But the same happened when I shortened the release and it got more power as John describes: "the black part (the part you hold when you screw the release into your camera) separated and fell apart." Then I used some glue and now it keeps in one part but doesn't work in camera any better.

Thanks Desertrat and John. It seems I paid for nothing and just have to buy a new one or try to find a degroff...

Any opinions of Hama's releases, 6 m? I would need something before I can find a good release..
    - Heli

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try stepping on the bulb - it may just need more pressure than your hands can supply. Also, if 6m is long enough for your needs, try shortening the 10m tube (by 1 metre at a time) until it works OK.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Bob, I already shortened it and it's now abt 5 m long. I also stepped on the bulb and it doesn't help, maybe I don't weight enough .
    - Heli

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah well: nothing ventured, nothing gained (in this case: all venture, no gain... ).

My Hama one works OK on my Bronica and LF lenses. I shortened it to 2m but I think it worked OK at its full length. It is only a stand-by should my cable releases die or disappear. It looks a bit cheap, but seems OK - don't know how it would stand up to repeated use though.

Good luck, Bob.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin