Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,459   Online: 1045

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just wait until you see 4x5 chromes. Don't even think about looking at 8x10 chromes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And 11x14 chromes will make you weep!!

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Konical View Post
    Good Afternoon, Dave,

Yes there is. The symptoms you have experienced will abate considerably when you begin to explore LF.

Konical

MOOhaHAHaHaHaHaaaa....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by papagene View Post
    And 11x14 chromes will make you weep!!

gene
    Certainly would, especially after finding that all your holders have light leaks given the cost of each sheet.....

As to the OP, well, you're doomed. 6x9 is the next step, then 4x5"...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    OK, so this summer, I cobbled together a Bronica SQ-A and began to get my feet wet in medium format, a decades old fantasy. Initially I approached it as going minimalist -- spend about $400 - $500 -- one body, one back, one lens, one viewfinder; shoot B&W and process at home, printing with an Omega B8 that "suddenly arrived here."

So I've dabbled, had some back -- uh film back -- problems, got 'em resolved. Was unhappy with my ancient slow CDS light meter and not satisifed with attempts to adapt it to silver oxide batteries. So I broke down and bought a Gossen Digisix -- a trifle disconcerting, as it feels like an empty plastic box, but it appears to work. It even tells me the time -- and the temperature -- I can't tell you how much I've always wanted that <snicker> :rolleyes: .

Anyway, knowing that slide film is the ultimately fussy test of exposure, I put a roll of Provia 100F through the beastie last Monday and got it processed. Oh my goodness -- now I find myself looking at 6x6 slide projectors on e*ay! I've already been eyeing a 65 mm f4 lens and have just acquired back #3. Is there help for me?!!

DaveT

(See the scans hither.)
    Dave,

I would like to offer you an "escape" from this dire situation but I too have become entrapped in this whirlpool!

I recently purchased a Hassey 503CXi w/80mm CZ lens et. Then added a 150mm plus the PME5 viewfinder.

Now I'm realizing that this kit will be fine for me here in New York - but what do I do about having MF gear in Tucson?

Oh no, not another kit! :o

And yet, I keep telling my wife that this camera stuff is cheaper than a mistress....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys, I got a good many smiles out of this thread. I guess if there's that many folks caught in the maelstrom, my situation is perfectly normal!

As to the LF suggestions, there has been a B & J Press 4x5 in the "collection" here since the mid-60s, though its bellows looks a bit stiff and the whole beast is not exactly mint. When I set it up for the 2005 Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day, it was hard not to notice that 4x5 B&W film in modest quantities was nearing a buck a sheet. Having "suddenly retired" in 2002, a few years sooner than planned, going to MF was a carefully researched decision. An MF enlarger fits better in my modest darkroom too. I still have a roll of Portra 160NC to try, then I think I'll settle back to delve more deeply into B&W for a while. I have acquired extra SQ backs so I can switch films easily -- it will no doubt happen here and there -- especially after seeing these first results.

Carry on!

DaveT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The beauty about the square 6x6 format for me is that when I project my slides on my 60"x60" screen it fills the screen.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    Initially I approached it as going minimalist -- spend about $400 - $500 ... Is there help for me?!!
    No. See my signature line.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    One lens? What in the world are you thinking? There is no hope for GAS once a format or process bites you hard. Up until recently, the majority of my aquisition fervor was getting equipment into the darkroom. Then there was that damned Mat-124 that was cheap... Then there was that first RB67 Pro body with the 180 & 90 lenses. Then there was the second body because it was so cheap, and the other lenses, backs, backpack, filters, etcetera, so on and so forth. And then there is that 100-200 zoom that I have had my eye on...

If given the outcomes of other formats I use, there will come a point that I have everything conceivable for the RB kit. And it will stay that way for a while. Then, a couple years down the line, I suspect that I will want to try an RZ body and lens... The rest will be fairly predictable. The GAS problem now is moving into 8x10. My signature line says it all...

BTW on the Digisix & Digiflash, they are great meters. I use the latter with a Nikon shoe adapter on my grip for all the MF work, and it has been the staple for most 4x5 ambient and flash work. The only exception has been some difficult architectural stuff where I have used Minolta Spotmeter F and some intriguing Zone System convolutions to extract the maximum detail. As to the temperature thing, you will find that real handy the first time you shoot a Polaroid sheet and wonder how long to time it out...
    Cheers,

Patrick

When you come to a fork in the road, take it...

Shooter
    35mm
    The only known cure for this condition is to locate the nearest 10 story or higher building and to jump. This is >99.7% as a permanent cure. Bottoms down.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin