Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,174   Online: 794
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    DWThomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SE Pennsylvania
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,280
    Images
    67

    Pulled toward the whirlpool . . .

    OK, so this summer, I cobbled together a Bronica SQ-A and began to get my feet wet in medium format, a decades old fantasy. Initially I approached it as going minimalist -- spend about $400 - $500 -- one body, one back, one lens, one viewfinder; shoot B&W and process at home, printing with an Omega B8 that "suddenly arrived here."

    So I've dabbled, had some back -- uh film back -- problems, got 'em resolved. Was unhappy with my ancient slow CDS light meter and not satisifed with attempts to adapt it to silver oxide batteries. So I broke down and bought a Gossen Digisix -- a trifle disconcerting, as it feels like an empty plastic box, but it appears to work. It even tells me the time -- and the temperature -- I can't tell you how much I've always wanted that <snicker> :rolleyes: .

    Anyway, knowing that slide film is the ultimately fussy test of exposure, I put a roll of Provia 100F through the beastie last Monday and got it processed. Oh my goodness -- now I find myself looking at 6x6 slide projectors on e*ay! I've already been eyeing a 65 mm f4 lens and have just acquired back #3. Is there help for me?!!

    DaveT

    (See the scans hither.)

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,660
    Images
    5
    Good Afternoon, Dave,

    Yes there is. The symptoms you have experienced will abate considerably when you begin to explore LF.

    Konical

  3. #3
    bill schwab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Meeshagin
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,749
    Images
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    Oh my goodness -- now I find myself looking at 6x6 slide projectors on e*ay!
    Nothing like a 6x6 slide projected! Many years ago I was hired to do supplemental slides for a exhibit at a National Park here in Michigan. They all had to be trannys for projection. I had never seen such a show prior and was completely blown away by the final presentation. It was huge... and sharp as a tack.

    Have fun!

    Bill

  4. #4
    DBP
    DBP is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,886
    Images
    34
    I know the feeling. Finally picked up a B&L 6x6 projector a couple of months back. It's a beast, but was fairly cheap and came with lots of slide trays and 35mm slide adapters. Haven't used it yet, as my MF transparencies had been 6x9 and 6x7 and I couldn't justify getting a projector THAT big. Of course that also raises the question of whether to keep my 35mm projector. It's getting crowded around here, between cameras, lighting equipment, enlargers, projectors, dive gear, sailing gear, and books.

  5. #5
    naturephoto1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Breinigsville, PA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,819
    Images
    84
    Hi Dave,

    There are worse ways to spend your money. I have never found the need for the purchase of a 6 x 6 or even a 6 x 7 slide projector. But, I shoot more 35mm or 4 x 5 than my medium format Rollei TLR or my Mamiya 7II. I would suggest at least for a while to get another lens or 2 and enjoy looking at the chromes on the light box for a while before I decided to invest in the slide projector. Don't forget, the projectors will shorten the life of the chromes. You may actually find real delight in printing some of the chromes either conventionally as a Ilfochrome (Cibachrome) or digitally through a machine like a LightJet or a Chromira.

    Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

  6. #6
    naturephoto1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Breinigsville, PA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,819
    Images
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP View Post
    I know the feeling. Finally picked up a B&L 6x6 projector a couple of months back. It's a beast, but was fairly cheap and came with lots of slide trays and 35mm slide adapters. Haven't used it yet, as my MF transparencies had been 6x9 and 6x7 and I couldn't justify getting a projector THAT big. Of course that also raises the question of whether to keep my 35mm projector. It's getting crowded around here, between cameras, lighting equipment, enlargers, projectors, dive gear, sailing gear, and books.
    Hi Bruce,

    Just don't put the yacht into the house. :o

    Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    584
    Images
    18
    Dave

    Yes there is hope for you. The SQa was my first medium format camera and I've reached the point where I've settled down. Of course I have 2 bodies, the AE prism, WL finder, speed grip, the 40, 50, 80, 150 and 250 lenses, 2 6x6 backs and a 6x4.5 back, pro hood that fits all but the 40mm. So see if gets better. Of course the sad part is I haven't shot this camera in over a year. Seems I bought a 4x5 outfit. But I do like the 6x6 format, so much that I recently bought 2 Rolleiflexes.


    Help, it doesn't stop. I was wrong. Run away as fast as you can.

    Brian
    Last edited by r-brian; 10-20-2006 at 04:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by Konical View Post
    The symptoms you have experienced will abate considerably when you begin to explore LF.


    As will your bank account...

    Let's face it, you're dooomed. Just like the rest of us.




    Richard

  9. #9
    DBP
    DBP is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,886
    Images
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1 View Post
    Hi Bruce,

    Just don't put the yacht into the house. :o

    Rich
    Not a problem, as I don't have a trailer to tow it on and it weighs a little more than my car anyway. I did consider sleeping aboard a few nights recently when I couldn't use my bedrooms. And I do often keep a camera aboard - a Ricoh RW-1.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    OK, so this summer, I cobbled together a Bronica SQ-A and began to get my feet wet in medium format, a decades old fantasy. Initially I approached it as going minimalist -- spend about $400 - $500 -- one body, one back, one lens, one viewfinder; shoot B&W and process at home, printing with an Omega B8 that "suddenly arrived here."

    So I've dabbled, had some back -- uh film back -- problems, got 'em resolved. Was unhappy with my ancient slow CDS light meter and not satisifed with attempts to adapt it to silver oxide batteries. So I broke down and bought a Gossen Digisix -- a trifle disconcerting, as it feels like an empty plastic box, but it appears to work. It even tells me the time -- and the temperature -- I can't tell you how much I've always wanted that <snicker> :rolleyes: .

    Anyway, knowing that slide film is the ultimately fussy test of exposure, I put a roll of Provia 100F through the beastie last Monday and got it processed. Oh my goodness -- now I find myself looking at 6x6 slide projectors on e*ay! I've already been eyeing a 65 mm f4 lens and have just acquired back #3. Is there help for me?!!

    DaveT

    (See the scans hither.)
    Dave,

    No. There is no going back. Now that you have seen mf chromes you cannot go back. I know this from personal experience...

    Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin