Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,056   Online: 908

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kiev's use P6 lens mounts. You'd have major problems fitting P6 lenses to a leaf shutter camera. Work fine on something like a Pentax 645 or the Mamiya 645 but they have focal plane shutters.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would recommend dealing with Arax (www.araxfoto.com) if you want to get Kiev gear. The guy running this business is very friendly and I have only good experiences with them. And they are happy to ship everywhere in the world, my order of a new NT magazine took one week (Ukraine -> Germany).
    I think an improved Kiev from Arax (sold under their own name) is a good entry to MF, and you can use the nice and very cheap Carl Zeiss Jena lenses.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nick, there are two types of Kiev mounts. The Kiev 88 CM for example uses P6 (aka C-mount), a plain 88 like mine uses B-mount.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    What lens mount do the Kievs use? Can I get Kiev lenses to fit on my 500CM?
    I have an Arax (a rebuilt and improved Kiev 88) That uses the Pentacon bayonet fitting which lets me use Zeiss lenses at a very cheap price. If you look in the AP advert for Nicholasand under pentacon+Russian they usually have half a dozen or more lenses for sale at very reasonable prices. pyrometol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    What lens mount do the Kievs use? Can I get Kiev lenses to fit on my 500CM?
    Nope. You have a in-lens shutter, the Kiev based cameras don't and uise a focal plane shutter. Too bad because the glass isn't very expensive and reputed to be pretty decent if you get one that was built well...

You can consile yourself with some Zeiss glass (used)!
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dianna View Post
    My husband was finally able to get them on the phone. They told him they might have a camera to send me on Friday this week. He asked for a refund and they refunded my money 10 minutes later (whew!)

Main reason I'd like to have a Kiev is because the lenses are so cheap and because I like square format best... I've heard both good and bad experiences about the quality.
    Yeah -- I nearly had to threaten to open a can of whupass on them. The woman who answered knew just enough english (and I didn't know any Russian) to tell me the Kiev88s were coming in a shipment on Friday. We'd heard that same story before. I said "I just want to get this straight. You sold something you didn't have?" (chattering in the background -- handed the phone off to someone else)

"May I help you?"
    "Yes, I ordered a Kiev88 on 5 October, you told me it would ship on 9 October, and now it's 23 October and you're telling me it will ship in several more days? I just want to verify that you sold something you didn't have"
    well.. I got a long story from him, about half of which I understood because of the speed of delivery, but it seems that several of the cameras he previously sold were returned for replacement, and they used the camera we bought as a replacement and were either expecting a camera we could have in a shipment that kept getting delayed, or the shipments they were getting didn't have kiev88s in them.

At any rate, he offered a refund and we got it via paypal in about 10-15 minutes.

I personally wouldn't do business with them again. It sounds like they just had a tough break, but I think it was a poor business choice to use new "spoken-for" stock to replace a returned camera.

Now, Dianna and I both decided to buy "commie cameras" at the same time, but I decided on a Pentacon Six. Can't wait to get my hands on it. It's been just under a week since I got notification that it was sent by dvdtechcameras.com in Kiev. Once I get it, I'll be hankering for a Sonnar, a Flektogon, and one of the means I haven't decided on yet of making the viewfinder brighter.

This experience with the Kiev, though, leaves me wondering something I've been wondering a lot lately. Since we're growing more and more fond of older and older gear. Where does one learn basic camera repair? I found Ed Romney who will sell you a textbook, a toolkit and some supplements for specific cameras, but surely there's got to be more. Isn't there a workshop somewhere that will get me started breaking down lenses and non-electronic cameras and acquiring at least enough skills to CLA and perform simple repairs or parts replacement on them?

Yours in non-intentional-offtopicness,

-KwM-

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet View Post
    .....Since we're growing more and more fond of older and older gear. Where does one learn basic camera repair? I found Ed Romney who will sell you a textbook, a toolkit and some supplements for specific cameras, but surely there's got to be more. Isn't there a workshop somewhere that will get me started breaking down lenses and non-electronic cameras and acquiring at least enough skills to CLA and perform simple repairs or parts replacement on them?......
    I was considering this same question some time ago, and acquired all the manuals and instructions for a Nikon F from Tomosy, Romney, Nat Camera, and others. Now I can remove the covers of a Nikon F for a thorough exterior cosmetic cleaning, and perhaps a cursory inspection for major damage, but that’s about it. A GOOD camera tech has spent years acquiring the necessary experience, and a good shop has specialized equipment beyond the reach of the part time amateur. There are techs specializing in a particular camera, and by research and recommendations on forums such as this one, we can identify those gifted persons. So, much as I would like to do it myself, for the best results I will send all my repairs out.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth View Post
    (snip) I think this may be one of the world's worst cameras, but it takes some of the world's best lenses, and the lenses are generally cheap.
    In spite of its problems, I am able to use it and get some value from it.
    Hardly a fair evaluation of this camera in my opinion. I have owned an 88 for 3 months and love it. You have to be very careful how you load the magazines or you will have spacing issues, other than that, my camera has performed flawlessly.

I don't understand people who buy a VW and then complain it isn't a Rolls Royce...
    Last edited by Kino; 10-24-2006 at 08:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've also heard from other Kiev owners that they like the camera. There's a photographer in Austin or thereabouts, Ann Texter, who has done some beautiful work with her Kiev 88. Here's her Kiev examples:

http://anntexter.com/portfolios/inde...ry=Kiev%2088CM

Dianna

Quote Originally Posted by Kino View Post
    Hardly a fair evaluation of a this camera in my opinion. I have owned an 88 for 3 months and love it. You have to be very careful how you load the magazines or you will have spacing issues, other than that, my camera has performed flawlessly.

I don't understand people who buy a VW and then complain it isn't a Rolls Royce...

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe you should look at Hartblei cameras.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin