Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,537   Posts: 1,646,122   Online: 738

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Images
    All of the square images in my gallery were taken with an 88. I have had no problem at all with my camera and have used it for 3 years.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keiv cameras are like those old mustangs that need a lot of work. They can work great provided you put the effort into it to know every little tempermental problems it has, and to watch for them. Not something you can just abuse.

But I think the topic swayed a bit from gripes with the retailer, to gripes with the camera, and should be noted that no camera is a shitty camera unless you make it one, but we often don't have control over the retailer and its good to hear some feedbacks from guinea pigs, I mean consumers.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dianna View Post
    I've also heard from other Kiev owners that they like the camera. There's a photographer in Austin or thereabouts, Ann Texter, who has done some beautiful work with her Kiev 88. Here's her Kiev examples:

http://anntexter.com/portfolios/inde...ry=Kiev%2088CM

Dianna
    Oh, its nice to see Ann to be mentioned here. I follow her work on flickr and admire her skills very much.

I use my Kiev for over a year now, its a 1994 model and besides some internal flocking and a CLA by the guy who sold it to me there wasnt any work necessary so far. Maybe Ill buy a Bronica or a Hasselblad one day, but no other brand can give me that much fun for that little money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They're sort of pricey (same price as a used Bronica SQ setup from KEH)... the kit I was going to buy from Kievcamera was $250 for the body, 2 backs, lens, prism, and w/l.

I have a nice Yashicamat but I find it awkward to handle. With small hand-held cameras (and that's what I'm looking for), I like the focus control on the lens barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft View Post
    Maybe you should look at Hartblei cameras.

Images
    If you want to shoot handheld, the 88 is a bit awkward. You might think about the K60. Sure, it looks like it was beat with the ugly stick but it has less problems than the 88. Those who shoot with both like the 60 as a hand held camera. I don't own a 60 because I like switching film backs. I also don't shoot handheld very often with it.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Images
    Yes, MF bodies have dropped drastically in price and now more reliable bodies are within the Kiev price range, but it is the cost of the glass that will kick you in wallet, hard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Yes, MF bodies have dropped drastically in price and now more reliable bodies are within the Kiev price range, but it is the cost of the glass that will kick you in wallet, hard.
    Not nessarily, the same would be somewhat true for P6 mounts as well, I remeber I got my 90mm f/3.8C and 180mm f/4.5 from keh.com for 50$ a peice for my Mamiya RB67 camera. Pretty damn good deal if you ask me. the more pricey ones such as a 65mm C would run me around 200$ to 300$ for the glass, but considering it's grade to equivilent 35mm brand/model, thats still quite reasonable.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    If you want to shoot handheld, the 88 is a bit awkward. You might think about the K60. Sure, it looks like it was beat with the ugly stick but it has less problems than the 88. Those who shoot with both like the 60 as a hand held camera. I don't own a 60 because I like switching film backs. I also don't shoot handheld very often with it.
    60 and 6C bodies can be cheaper then backs so I never saw the lack of backs being a big issue.

OTOH so many things are so cheap today the only P6 item I'd consider buying is the fisheye. But then I have two Kiev bodies and quite a few lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Buy Mamiya! They are cheap and Good! An almost new RZ67pro2 kit costs about $900-1000. Other models are much cheaper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    update: The argument for Dianna and I sharing the same lenses was compelling, so she got a Kiev60 off E-Bay. Neither her camera nor my P6 have arrived yet. We can hardly wait.

-KwM-

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin