Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,371   Online: 1104

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Anyone deal with Kiev Camera (kievcamera.com)?

I bought a Kiev 88 kit from them on Ebay on October 5 and still haven't received it. Initially they said they'd ship it on October 9. They haven't replied to my e-mails (I sent a couple of them asking when I can expect the camera, tracking number, etc). When I tried calling their number to ask about the camera today, someone answered and hung up without saying anything (I tried calling twice and got the same result). Are they just slow about shipping or is there more to it than that? I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who has dealt with them in the past. I did some limited research before buying the camera and didn't come across anything negative. They look legitimate as far as I can tell.

Thanks,
    Dianna

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hrm odd, that site usually gets good recomendations, and usually best to buy a keiv from an authorized ( and within the united states if thats where you are ) dealer. http://www.kievcamera.com/

It seems to be the main store that http://www.kievaholic.com/ recomends.

I know they're legitimate but make sure you got the domain correct, theres another site with a slightly different spelling on Kiev that I know is a spam site. Also I was not aware that kievcamera.com had an ebay outlet, try contacting the main site itself with verification to the ebay account seller ID.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, once many years ago. There were no problems. I wonder if you somehow got caught with a lack of inventory. It seems those Kiev88 cameras have become somewhat popular due to their price. Keep in mind that their inventory comes from across the globe. This doesn't excuse them from getting back to you though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    Yes, once many years ago. There were no problems. I wonder if you somehow got caught with a lack of inventory. It seems those Kiev88 cameras have become somewhat popular due to their price. Keep in mind that their inventory comes from across the globe. This doesn't excuse them from getting back to you though.
    Keiv used to be regarded as being a 'budget' camera, but not given the alternatives becoming much cheaper, and the demand due to it's popularity, driving prices higher, a kiev isnt exactly as good a deal as it once was when you can get a hasselblad for about the same price, or a mamiya for far cheaper.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well I guess that's true. The choice between a brand new 88 and a good used RB or RZ would have to go to the Mamiya.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Buying a Kiev seems to be like buying a Yugo - dealer prep is everything. I got one from a US dealer that had been extensively modified (mount, shutter) and tweaked. It almost works. (I still have problems with the backs.) The kit came with an instruction manual from the dealer that mostly said "Don't even think about touching the shutter speed controls unless the shutter is cocked!" I think this may be one of the world's worst cameras, but it takes some of the world's best lenses, and the lenses are generally cheap.
    In spite of its problems, I am able to use it and get some value from it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My experience with them isn't positive. I bought a Kiev spot prism from them this summer on eBay, but I wasn't happy with it, and returned it. See this tread:

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...ght=kiev+prism

I sent them an e-mail, after waiting a month for some kind of response, asking if they had received the prism I returned. They responded that they had indeed received the prism, and that they didn't find any faults, and that they actually had sold it to another customer!

I was pretty amazed by this, and demanded an immediate refund, but I've heard no word from them since.

Trond

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My husband was finally able to get them on the phone. They told him they might have a camera to send me on Friday this week. He asked for a refund and they refunded my money 10 minutes later (whew!)

Main reason I'd like to have a Kiev is because the lenses are so cheap and because I like square format best... I've heard both good and bad experiences about the quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Trond View Post
    My experience with them isn't positive. I bought a Kiev spot prism from them this summer on eBay, but I wasn't happy with it, and returned it. See this tread:

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...ght=kiev+prism

I sent them an e-mail, after waiting a month for some kind of response, asking if they had received the prism I returned. They responded that they had indeed received the prism, and that they didn't find any faults, and that they actually had sold it to another customer!

I was pretty amazed by this, and demanded an immediate refund, but I've heard no word from them since.

Trond

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dianna,

Have you looked at some of the alternatives available, I owned a couple of kievs, they were okay, but I had several of the older bronicas and the quality of even a used camera was better and the glass for the bronica cameras is great quality glass, in this market, I am pretty sure you could pick something up in the used market and get some lenses to go with it for about the same money you would spend on a new kiev and probably have a better camera to boot.

Good luck in your search.

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What lens mount do the Kievs use? Can I get Kiev lenses to fit on my 500CM?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin