Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,721   Posts: 1,514,921   Online: 1034

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mamiya 7/7II

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    To me, the most important difference between these cameras is that the 7 is by now a pretty old camera, whereas the 7ii is either new ( if you buy new that is) or possibly quite recent. Buying used, there's a very good chance that the 7ii has less miles on the clock, and will in some respects be easier to get repaired. Thats why the 7ii is more expensive. The difference in features is quite minor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mamiya 7 vs Mamiya 7II

There are plenty of Mamiya 7's and 7II's that were purchased new and ended up sitting on a shelf (and sometimes even come up for sale). The reason for this is mysterious to me as it has to be my all-time favorite camera. Yes it has quirks and is a very limited system, offering as it is only four "real" lenses. But it has (in my humble opinion) an ideal combination of portablity, lightness, and superb sharpness, which makes it pretty much an ideal "all around" traveling camera.

As for the Mamiya 7 vs Mamiya 7II -- I use both and don't find the differences to be all that significant with ONE EXCEPTION: the shutter wind mechanism on the bottom is prone to breakage on the Mamiya 7 -- and if it breaks, you might be SOL. So either A.) don't let it break or B.) get the Mamiya 7II.
    J Michael Sullivan
    Editor/Publisher, MAGNAchrom
    www.magnachrom.com

...SOMETIMES I SEE THINGS...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here's a good summary lifted from the great Medium Format Megasite, which lifted it from somewhere else. I have included the original poster's name:
    <start of quote>

Newsgroups: rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
    Subject: Re: Medium format rangefinders (M7 -vs- M7II)
    Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002

Here is a comparison based on my 7 and 7II.

The 7II has the following improvements over the 7:

1) A relocated cable release socket (The 7's is by the button release, the 7II is on the lower side of the left hand grip.).

2) An improved darkslide curtain winder. The 7II has a flip down winder, the 7 has a recessed knob. I have to remove the 7 from the tripod to engage the curtain and change a lens. I use the RRS tripod plate and it comes pretty close to this knob. (You may not find this a pain if you use the Mamiya tripod adapter or something else).

3) A different type of button arrangement on the exposure comp. The 7 is a 2 button control (one to release the lock) where the 7II is a single button for lock release and adjustment (push then turn)

4) A brighter viewfinder (though I don't really see much of a difference)

5) The 7II has multiple exposure capability.

6) The 7II has a chrome plated battery cover, the 7's is black.

7) The 7II has the word MAMIYA embossed in raised letters on the left hand grip. The rubberized material for the grip is the same, though.

8) The 7II has an extra strap mount so the camera can be hung
    horizontally. The strap lugs are chrome on the 7II, rather than black.

All in all, they are very equivalent depending on what drives you nuts and your use. I don't like removing the 7 from the tripod to change lenses). The 7's viewfinder can be upgraded or under $100, but it's really not all that different. Since many people do multiple exposure in photoshop these days, I can't understand paying much for this feature. <end of quote>

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinholemaster View Post
    If you are in the market for this camera system, get the II model body. Also if you get a 150 mm lens, test it before buying. This lens had some manufacturing difficulties, so some do not couple with the rangefinder properly resulting in terrible focusing problems. All the other lenses for this system are fantastic.
    Is it definitely a lens issue not a body issue (short baselength aside)? a friend has a 150 and he has terrible problems with focus that seem far in excess of baselength causing imprecise focus. Some shots are like a dropped holga! If the lens manufacturing could be to blame getting the thing matched at a service center wont help him will it?

Tom

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Tom Stanworth

I have a 150mm lens that behaves perfectly, albeit that a lens with this focal length on which you can't see dof ttl and where the lens barrel markings are an exercise in optimism does require a little experience.

First thing I did when I got the 150 a few years ago was to test its ability to focus right at known distances, with the intention of returning it for replacement if anything was adrift. I had no problems then and none now. But its not an easy lens to use for the reasons above.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I tend to be a wide angle user, so the 150mm wouldn't be an issue for me. In many ways it is the 43mm that really interests me. Does anyone have experience with that?

David.

Images
    43mm is fabulous & fun. You must learn to focus thru the camera rangefinder and then view thru the 43mm viewfinder, but you get good at this. It is the camera/lens combo used for this:

http://www.mamiya.com/photographers/...y.asp?id2=1963

Given one camera only, this would be it.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Gravel View Post
    You must learn to focus thru the camera rangefinder and then view thru the 43mm viewfinder.
    No problem. I still get quite a lot of use out of a Leica IIIa where you have to do this for every lens. As long as the lens is optically good I'm happy.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    <shameless plug>

Incidentally, I have a Mamiya 7 with 65mm lens for sale. Great condition, works flawlessly.

You can see it here. http://www.apug.org/classifieds/show...cat=all&page=1

I can email more pics, etc...

</shameless plug>
    Be careful his bow tie is really a camera
    timeUnit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin