Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,695   Posts: 1,482,502   Online: 981

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Medium Format Reading material?

Hello,

Does anyone know of a good book they would recommend I'm pretty much self taught from books on the normal 35mm SLR and the workings of a dark room but before I head off and buy everything written I wondered if there was a particular book or something that maybe some one here could suggest as a valuable lesson in medium format photography?

I'm very very much a beginner and have just take possession of a Yashica mat 124G Medium Format TLR Camera. I've down loaded a manual so I'm just looking for a classic a-z really if you know what I mean.

Many thanks once again for your invaluable advice and time

Rebecca

http://www.rebecca-sichelcoates.com
    Thanks

Rebecca

www.rebecca-sichelcoates.com

Images
    Good Morning, Rebecca,

I have a book calledHow To Select & Use Medium-Format Cameras by Theodore DiSante. It's copyright 1981 and probably unavailable new, but is perhaps attainable used. It gives a reasonably good overview of the subject. No doubt there are other similar books available also.

I'd suggest APUG as a good resource. The Forum contains numerous post on various MF gear. Lots of opinion, of course, but usually informed opinion.

Konical
    Last edited by Konical; 10-26-2006 at 11:28 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: type

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Robert Monaghan's web site is a pretty good resource:

http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/index.html

Try Roger Hicks and Frances Schultz book on medium and large format. Lots of great information and plenty of Roger's Brit wit...

Like all the projects these two tackle the outcome is predicatively marvelous.

Joe D.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rebecca what are you looking for? Outside of the film a MF is a camera the same way a 35mm is. If you're looking for comparisons on different cameras the Monaghan website will help.

Let me put it this way. If you take something like a Pentax 645 it's pretty much an over grown 35mm.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agreed. Other than the adjustment in going from 35mm cartridges to roll film the cameras are mostly larger versions of 35mm (or, to be more historically accurate, 35mm is scaled down MF). There are a few general differences:

1. Loading roll film is fundamentally different - but not hard. I don't think I have ever misloaded a roll of 120 or 620, whereas I have lost a few rolls of 35mm over the years by the leader slipping out of the pickup slot.
    2. 35mm TLRs are rare whereas MF TLRs are common.
    3. Interchangeable backs on some cameras allow you to switch film mid roll - and give you a chance to leave the darkslide in and miss pictures.
    4. For a given type of camera, medium format is bigger and usually heavier. That being said, there are many small and light MF cameras that are actually easier to carry around all day than a Nikon F5 with a big zoom. TLRs and folders are generally light and easy to carry.
    5. MF cameras tend to have less automation and more flexibility. For example, interchangeable finders are common in MF SLRs and rare in 35mm. Autofocus is common in 35mm and rare in MF.
    6. MF cameras tend to cost more at a given level of capability, though using MF need not be expensive if you are willing to make some compromises.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not only about MF but a book I can really recommend is Edge of Darkness by Barry Thornton. It thought me a lot and is a great inspiration on how to be more thorough both taking pictures and in the darkroom. It is not an a-z, though.

/matti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I second jadphoto's recommendation for Roger's and Frances' book: "Medium and Large Format Photography; Moving Beyond 35mm for Better Pictures" It's published by Amphoto Books, is soft bound, not too expensive ($24.95 in the USA), and not too difficult to find in a store like Barnes and Noble or Borders.

It's very comprehensive regarding medium format, and not too shabby covering large format either. Besides, there are lots of funny looking pictures of Roger! (which is probably why it's not more expensive.)
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Rebecca,

Like you, I am new to MF (after years using 35mm I decided this old dog needed to learn some new tricks).

I am reading "The Medium Format Advantage" by Ernst Wildi. He seems to be something of an "expert" in the format.

If you are an experienced 35mm shooter, I think you'll climb the learning curve fairly rapidly. After all, aperture is aperture, shutter speed is shutter speed and "Sunny 16" still m/l "rules the day"!

Of course, having previously enjoyed Roger's and Frances's book on Rangefinders, based on what's been posted here - I may have to get the MF/LF one being recommended - if just to see the funny pictures of Roger!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Of course, having previously enjoyed Roger's and Frances's book on Rangefinders, based on what's been posted here - I may have to get the MF/LF one being recommended - if just to see the funny pictures of Roger!

I have this book and I can confirm that it is both excellent in content and that it does indeed have some great pictures of Roger taken at various stages between his bi-annual haircuts and beard trimmings!

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 10-27-2006 at 04:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin