Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,131   Posts: 1,637,254   Online: 1232

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya RZ 67 Pro II wedding flash needs

Hello all. I shoot with a mamiya RZ 67 PRO II. When I shoot events, which is mostly dance school portraits I use white lightening studio lights. I am now branching out to weddings and am a bit perplexed as to which on camera handle mout flash will best suit the needs of shooting a wedding. For years I used the SUNPAK 522 and 544 flash units in 35 mm with great success. Of course in attending various weddings I see many Metz flashes being used. Are there any wedding photographers out there who would like to educate me of flash use/choice?

thank you all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you actually going to haul the camera around with the flash? I think my arm hurts just thinking about it-)

IIRC the metz module doesn't do much with the RZ. Just lights up when the flash is charged. So you're looking for a flash with good auto/manual modes.

I'll let wedding guys figure out which suit you best.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In a used model, consider the Pentax AF400T. I have two, and coupled with a quantum 2 battery can be used as a side mount (with bounce adapter), or in pairs stuck to a couple light stands and used as a very portable studio flash arrangement. Photoflex makes a great small softbox and adapter for this use:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

The guide number is about 80@400, 40@100, manual is from 1/16th in increments to full, and there are three levels of auto. Coupled to a many Pentax cameras, you can go full TTL auto. Used price, anywhere from $100-150 on fleabay. Quantum 2 same source $50-100. The quantum 2 will run two flashes.

I have been using this setup for several years now with all formats; in crowds, group photos, quick portrait setups, interior architectural, and other. I have yet to see a need to move onward--my big stuff is Photogenic and it is hardly ever used...
    Last edited by Pragmatist; 10-28-2006 at 03:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Metz 60 series

Most of my wedding work has been done with a Mamiya C330 and prism finder, so I have some experience with carting heavy stuff around.

My best results have been with a Metz 60 CT1 and a Metz 60 CT2. I use one flash at or near the camera, and where possible, the other on a light stand nearby, triggered by a slave.

I have a modified left hand bracket (with trigger) for the C330 that allows me to mount the Metz bracket to it - the combination is large, but not as heavy as you might expect, due to the fact that the battery pack is separate.

The bracket I use also works with the RB 67, but I don't know whether it works with the RZ 67.

The Metz 60 series flashes are great. They've got lots of power for bounce flash operation, flexible adjustments, really accurate automatic functions and when used with dryfit batteries they give quick recycling and lots of flashes per charge.

I can put two flashheads, two battery packs, an extra charger and a couple of charge plugs in a relatively small case, and still have room for cords, flash slaves and other accessories.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I second Matt's advice, one of the Metz 60 series is all you will need, GN of 197 @ASA 100, fast recycle times, and a beautiful quality of light. Consisitent exposure is the key, using NPS or NPH and shooting around f5.6 to 8, your recycle time is quick. You can fit two complete setups, plus cords, etc. into a Pelican 1500 case.

erie

Images
    Why not stay with the Sunpacks if you still have them. I just bought a Rolleiflex from an old retired photographer here in town and it came with his flash he used for years for everything, the Sunpack 522. He swore by that flash.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
    In a used model, consider the Pentax AF400T. I have two, and coupled with a quantum 2 battery can be used as a side mount (with bounce adapter), or in pairs stuck to a couple light stands and used as a very portable studio flash arrangement.
    Hello, I it is an old thread here but maybe I can get your kind help
    Question is simple : what cables or adapters do you use to connect Pentax AF400T to Mamiya RZ PRO II? Could you give me detailed information about that. Then I'll be happy to search where to get those adapters on the web.
    I was searching for cables/adapters but I do not get any satisfactory result (maybe my searching is wrongly made )
    Thank you for your kind help!

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What are you going to use the RB for that you will need an on-camera flash?

I use on-camera flash at weddings, but only for the more informal pictures, or occasionally as a mild fill light. The quality of light from an on-camera flash is always a compromise, unless you are specifically after the look you get from that quality of light. The camera's position is one of the most ugly locations from which to light a photo, in general. I use the Sunpak 555, usually with the widest diffuser from the accessory filter kit. I bounce when possible, but lots of weddings/receptions are outside.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 02-20-2011 at 04:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    What are you going to use the RB for that you will need an on-camera flash?
    Hi, I do not need on-camera flash (I mean I do not need to have the flash directly on the body - it will stand on its own tripod). I just would like to know what cable between Pentax AF400T flash and Mamiya RZ PRO II. Protagonist mention his setup with AF400T - I am really curious how to connect both as I am on the way to get Pentax Flash. And with the Flash on its own stand I'll have free hand to position it where I want it (of course position limited by cable).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was replying to the OP. I did not see that he posted in 2006! Never mind!

You should start a new thread in one of the lighting forums if you have a new question.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin