Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,763   Posts: 1,484,037   Online: 1272

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

RB-67 "C" lens repair manual?

Does such a thing exist? I've got as body manual, and there's a section about KL lenses, but nothing on the "C" series. I've got a 180C that's pretty beat (got a nice replacement, too), and I'd like to disassemble it, but don't know where to start. I can unscrew the metal "cone" that surrounds the front elements, but that's all. The shape of the cone doesn't allow any removal.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Now why would ya want to take that beautiful lens appart?

Check out this site, you'll find some pics I took of some lenses i worked on that a friend was kind enough to post on his site. http://logojoe.com/RB-RZ/lens-shutter/index.htm

To get the front lens cell off you have to remove the name ring first. Then you can unscrew the cell, then the cone comes off. Once the cone is off you have access to the screws that takes the next layer off, then the next layer and you are down to the lens mount attached to the shutter. Turn the lens over and remove the square thingie. Then you'll have access to the shutter retainer ring nut. Remove the ring and the shell will be completely off and the shutter will be in your hands with only the lens mount attached.

The lens mount can be removed by taking out the screws on the sides of the mount, 2 are on the preview slider ends (the thin metal part) and one in the center can be loosened enough to wiggle the mount off the shutter. Now that's off you are holding the bare shutter.

Now what do you want to do with it?

If you don't mind, before you take it appart, can I make an offer to buy it for the shutter parts?

E-mail me if you are interested?
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The lens barrel is clean, no big scratches, the glass is clear & unscratched, bit the shutter hangs up at random times. I can't trust it. I got a replacement at a price that was about the same as a CLA. So, I thought I'd try to open it up & see if it was just a dirty shutter. As far as your offer, I'll email you if I decide not to take it apart.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Go ahead, take it appart, then sell it to me. If you are carefull and use good screwdrivers, you really can't do much more damage to it. It isn't working now and it won't work any better if you don't fix it. At least you'll have the satisfaction of trying.

It comes appart in layers, starting at the top, the name ring. You'll see the screws to remove as you get deeper. Check out that site I listed and you'll see it's not all that complicated. Put all your screws as you take em out in a weekly pill organizer so it stays in order of operations.

e-mail me anyway, maybe you want to give it a go that way a piece at a time, nice n slow.

I've helped a 16yr old kid in Germany strip his grandfathers lens n clean the shutter out via AIM last year, and he hardly spoke much english... it's working as good as new again.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'll give it a try. Any tips on what to use to get that front ring off? That looks like a tricky part. Oh, yeah, i DO have good screwdrivers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You say the cone unscrews part way?... well unscrew it a bit and see if that takes the preasure off the name ring so you can use the friction of your damp fingers to get it out. Rubber plug or even a rubber band on your fingers is generally enough to get em out. When they are really stuborn, I drill 2 tiny shallow holes with a dentist drill and use a scisor as a spanner. Once it's out, you'll see the front cell can now unscrew in one piece, start it too with a rubber plug or a scisor as a spanner to just break it loose, then you can finger it right out.

e-me?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin