Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,219   Online: 805

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post
    I think it's possible to hold new Mamiya 6 at a "vertical" position but the degree of comfort is not like a 35mm SLR with a vertical grip attached to it...
    Why would you want to hold a square format camera vertical?

There is a spacer available for the 6/7 that allows a flash bracket or tripod head plate to be attached to the bottom of the camera allowing access to the curtain and room for the spool ends to release the film.

FWIW I have the six and have traveled extensively with it (many thousands of rolls and miles). I long for the 43mm available for the 7, but prefer the 6.
    Last edited by jd callow; 10-31-2006 at 03:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jd callow View Post
    Why would you want to hold a square format camera vertical?
    I wouldn't. I'm just telling how it would be to do it with a 6 and implying not much difference for 7.
    There is a spacer available for the 6/7 that allows a flash bracket or tripod head plate to be attached to the bottom of the camera allowing access to the curtain and room for the spool ends to release the film.
    I think that spacer is for tripod. Not good enough for bracket because of lack of anti-twist measures.

By the way, I wouldn't say anything close to "Mamiya Six" in this context because that's a different camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Bronica RF645 is compact and rock solid, an ergonomical delight, lenses are great, lightmeter accurate and pricewise it's a bargain. If you are looking for a MF travel camera and lenses outfit you could do much worse than this.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Get a Mamiya 6 in good condition.

If you buy it from a dealer you can be sure of having a working film wind when you get it.

Last time I had mine CLAd I asked the tech about the wind mechanism. He said it was all stainless and wasn't flimsy at all. If you don't abuse it it would be hard to break it. It does occasionally get stuck but it's no problem as you just press a little button to unlock it.

The real reason to get the 6 over the 7 is the viewfinder, it deals with 50mm, 75mm and 150mm in the camera. Use a 50mm lens on the 7 and you've got to use an accessory finder. Plus it's more compact and feels a lot better built.
    Despite its cult status I still think it's an underated camera.

Matt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I battled with the same question but was lucky enough to have a friend who had both and trusted me with them. I tried both and settled for the Mamiya 6.

Reasons:
    1. Same format as my Hasselblad (don't have to think how to hold the camera).
    2. All negs fit easily in to my negative files (3 and 4 frame strips, never know what to do with the tenth frame on the 7).
    3. The lenses are superb (also true for the 7).
    4. The whole package is very small (the lens retraction of the 6 helps).

I bought the whole set of lenses from different sources and paid a total of roughly $2000. I also ended up sending camera and one lens (150) to Mamiya for a focus adjustment. Optically, I have no better camera. While travelling, this is the camera to have (did some great images of French cathedrals this summer). But in the studio, my Hasselblad just works a lot better.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Mamiya 6MF has been 100% reliable and I'm very happy with it, but I have heard a rumour that the non-MF version isn't as robust - the rumour had it that the body can crack beneath the lens mount and that was corrected in the 6MF. How much truth there is in this I don't know - anyone else heard that rumour?
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    All cameras can be broken

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin