Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,545,986   Online: 975

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dfoo View Post
    The problem with a secret is that it remains so... if George gets hit by a bus what then?
    I didn't speak about it with him. Who knows?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dan,

Though i (literally) don't know about George, and though i perhaps would have chosen different words, i agree.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FYI orto, GoldFart and George are all the same user with different ID's on APUG and have been merged into Orto. Whether the APUG George and the lens shade George are one in the same is something I can't answer. Having multiple IDs are generally not allowed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    George calculated all of my lens shades, all working perfectly. I'm horrified his posts got corrupted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last edited by Uhner; 05-22-2008 at 07:21 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: In hindsight I have no need to argue with george, orto, hacken, infest et al.

Shooter
    35mm

Lens hood according to f-stop?

What an enjoyable thread! I've done some back of the envelope drawings and concur that Helen's elegant simple arithmetic agrees with my drawings.

Simply explained for anyone wondering how to derive it, take half the FOV (call it theta), and HD=2.(HL.tan(theta)+LD/2), where HD is hood dia, HL is hood length and LD is lens dia. [theta is actually equal to arctan(filmDiag/2/focalLength), so I think Helen's calculation is perfect, the trig functions cancel out]

If you want a more efficient design, imagine fitting the rectangular hood inside the circumference of the round hood. For a 2:3 35mm format, the hood will have sides of 0.55xRHD:0.83xRHD, which again comes from simple Pythag stuff.

The rectangular hood will cut flare by nearly half as the area of the rectangle is 0.59 of the round hood.

For a further improvement, I'd be really interested to hear how to adapt this calculation for stopped down lenses!
    Last edited by hoojammyflip; 07-21-2010 at 08:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin