Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,431   Online: 828

Shooter
    Multi Format

7II Flash Suggestions

I just purchased a 7II and would appreciate suggestions for a flash unit. My requirements are very basic and I don't anticipate using it a great deal. It would be mostly for fill flash and occasional use.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sunpak 383 Super or anything like it would be good. I have a few of 383 in my camera bag with slave units, and 120J barebulb/parabolic flash. It's better to use your brain and dumb flash than a smarter flash units and a dumb photog.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I bought one of the basic Metz 36 which has been fine on the few occasions I have used it. The Stofen diffuser works very well.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    Take a look at an older Nikon SB-20. If you find a clean one on eBay, it will be cheap, small and powerful for it's size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had great luck with this series of Osram flash units. They also made a series that articulate in the center instead of a top drum but they seem to be a bit troublesome and have higher trigger voltages. The head swivels and the drum will allow the use of a wink light to fill in shadows when using the bounce mode. The attached picture is of the lowest GN version and they made them in increments to 340 (GN 34). I've used this style in all of the power ranges with many different cameras and they are extremely accurate and controllable. They're a little bit hard to find but usually don't command too high of a price when you locate one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 06911.jpg  
    Craig Schroeder

IMHO, the best flash is the Vivitar 285HV. Great sensor, and with the Mamiya lens you get to synch at any speed (not that it is a feature of the Vivitar).

I like the Vivitar due to its power and low cost on eBay. You can also power it with a Turbo battery with the right cable.

--Jeffrey
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin