Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,424   Online: 795

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hasselblad WLF diopters

Can anyone tell me the power of the standard dioptre in a Hasselblad WLF?

Also, is the nomenclature for the replacement dioptres for the absolute power, or for the power relative to the standard? I.E. does a "+1" in a Hasselblad catalogue have a focal length of 1 m, or is it one power stronger than the standard dioptre?

Old eyes grateful for any clues.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Struan,

I think all the 500 and the 201 F series are equiped with a -0.5 magnifier, the 205 FCC and 203 FE have a hood type E/diopter -1 as standard.

I don`t like to focus with the WLF myself, so I got a 45 degrees prism and a chimney finder, IMO it`s more confortable to the eyes.

For the WLF you can get diopters from -4 to +3 and for the PM45 prism from -4.5 to +3.5. The HM2 magnifying hood accept any correction lenses prescribed by your optician, due to a correction lenses mount supplied with the viewfinder, a very interesting option to consider.

A brighter Acute-Matte screen will also help you (in case you`re using the old style).

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks André. That's very useful information.

I have a WLF on a 2003FCW and do already have an acutematte screen. I'm finding it a tiny bit uncomfortable to focus on the screen - that is, to focus my eye at the place the screen appears to be. I know from LF, and from brushing my kids' teeth, that my close focus is getting longer, so I am interested in trying a stronger dioptre to see if that helps.

I have found a couple of places with secondhand dioptres, but none of them are near to me and I don't want to have to order up a whole bunch just to get the one that works.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    I have found a couple of places with secondhand dioptres, but none of them are near to me and I don't want to have to order up a whole bunch just to get the one that works.
    That`s why I think the purchase of the HM2 and a visit to your optician might be something worth considering.

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Two ironies.

First, when I was helping to clear out my father-in-law's house a few years ago we found two complete sets of optician's test glasses and the diopters and other slot in lenses to go with them. Naturally we got rid of them.

Second, when I got a deal on a 3-lens Hasselblad kit I told myself there was nothing else I needed to buy. Ho Ho Ho. Still, it gives me another section of the online classifieds to cruise through.

Thanks for your help André. I will keep an eye out for an HM2. Even so, I love the compactness of the WLF for carry-around snapshooting so I still want that to work. First step is to measure the actual dioptre I have.

Struan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin