Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,413   Online: 1102

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Square

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am a dedicated square format shooter.

I think its wrong though to rigidly constrain yourself to any particular cropping or aspect ratio. Many times I leave the image as a full square, but its not always the best presentation.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I compose inaccordance to the format, in this case square. I never agreed with people people who would say shoot square and crop what you don't need. That's just lazy photography, in my opinion.
    Derrick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I never really gave this a lot of thought. I shoot mostly square (6X6) and some 6X7. When I shoot 35, I tend to crop to almost square or 6X7 ratio (8X10). I guess that makes me a "square shooter"...
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

I've shot Hasselblad for 30 years as a pro and have cropped every picture I've ever taken and have never once printed square.

Victor never meant for us to print square, he merely designed the camera so it could be set up and shoot horizontal or vertical without turning the camera.

You people are bastardizing his concept and should be ashamed of yourselves.

Since we have two eyes we see rectangular, only one eyed people see square. Probably the ones with the eye in their forehead.

Just and opinion,

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    ...Probably the ones with the eye in their forehead...Michael
    I think this founding father would have made a great photographer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ill_GeorgeWashington.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Haven't you used the three-eyed fellow (or some version of it) as your avatar?

And answering the question regarding squares - no, I don't crop. Full frame or bust.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Victor never meant for us to print square, he merely designed the camera so it could be set up and shoot horizontal or vertical without turning the camera.

You people are bastardizing his concept and should be ashamed of yourselves.
    I invited him to dinner tonight. After we settle in with a cigar and brandy, I'll ask if this really was his concept.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Since we have two eyes we see rectangular, only one eyed people see square. Probably the ones with the eye in their forehead.
    If you see rectangular then you've obviously been spending too much time in front of the tv or computer screen.

All jokes aside...we don't see rectangular. If you must find a geometric form that compares best to our field of view than it's more likely elliptical (although I think it's a little more complicated than that).

Anyways. No disrespect intended but your argument for cropping square pictures is kinda silly in more than one way.
    Firstly, it rests on the assumption that a photograph has to capture exactly what we see. If that were true there would be no point in shooting b&w or even a high saturation color film. There also would be no point in using wide angle or tele lenses since they do not correspond to our fov.
    Secondly, and this is more important, if you think we see rectangular you should also agree that the rectangular is horizontal and not vertical. Have you never taken a vertically oriented photo?

Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    Secondly, and this is more important, if you think we see rectangular you should also agree that the rectangular is horizontal and not vertical. Have you never taken a vertically oriented photo?
    Vertical is just a rectangle with our heads turned sideways.

And yes I have. When I lay down I see vertical.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    About 80% of my photography is composed square and projected/printed/and submitted as square. I crop very few square images, though I do have a 67 rangefinder that I use when the photograph I want to make doesn't suit the square format.

Can't understand why anyone is puzzled by square photographs though- many of the best known MF photographers make/made square photographs. Probably 50% of the photographer's sites I have bookmarked feature at least a majority of square images. It's scarcely a rare phenomenon amongst MF users.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin