Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,583   Posts: 1,545,784   Online: 1024

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Square

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Square

Just curious how many of you that shoot 2 1/4"x2 1/4" print (and thus compose) square? 99% of the medium format stuff I shoot gets printed square but many people find it odd. I've found that I really like the square format, as well as 4x5 but the 35mm aspect ratio doesn't work well for me. Just curious if anyone else has an opinion on this.
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I paid a lot of those 2 little notches on the left of the print. I print with those notches showing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I usually compose for the square when I'm shooting square.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I usually (not exclusively) print square from square negs, though it does depend on the subject matter. I know what you mean about 35mm. I rarely print the full format as I find it too much like a letterbox.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whenever possible, I try to use full frame in whatever format camera that I am using. When shooting my Rolleiflex 3.5F 12/24 Planar I try to shoot it square. I have never been as comfortable with the square format however. I generally shoot my 35mm as the 24 X 36 format dimensions, my 6 X 7 as 6 X 7, my 4 X 5 as 4 X 5, etc.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I print full frame most of the the time, but when I shoot square format (6X6) I think, compose and print square. It's part of the charm of shooting square format for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the square format and I like 6x9. I guess the sorta/almost/kinda shapes are less interesting for me. I also paint on square canvas a lot - or long rectangles.

In the square, the corners pull against the center with greater urgency. Tension is more easily set up and maintained. The long rectangle makes the viewer read it from side to side. 6x7 has neither of these gong for it.

Having said that, of course, I have to admit that many artists/photographers use other formats with amazing results.... its just tougher for me. My 2 cents

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I LOVE SQUARE! I like every other format else too... except maybe banquet (but I'll come around some day I suppose).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't say that I print FULL frame, I always cut in enough not to have the film edges show, but if it's a square neg it gets printed square...as Mario Ag+ said, "...when I shoot square format (6X6) I think, compose and print square." I remember when I first started shooting medium format (Rolleiflex, followed by Hasselblad) I was shooting "all wrong" and just using the large negs for high resolution. It took me a good year to get to a point where I felt composing square came naturally. Now I feel like I have to struggle a bit to compose in a rectangular format! I wonder what it would have been like if early on in photographic history round or oval had become the true "norm" for printing. Frames sure would cost more!
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Always square, always full frame, most of the times with the frame showing. I find it much easier to compose in the square than in the rectangle. Its extremely rare that a 6x6 photo of mine will need cropping.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin