Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,546   Online: 1119

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A question for Mamiya RB67 users...

I'm putting together a Hasselblad SWC-alternative camera using a Mamiya RB67 revolving back and screen and a Rodenstock 35mm lens. I'm a Hasselblad user, but Mamiya backs go for a fraction of the cost of Hassy backs and with the latest revolving backs you can make use of 6x4.5-6x8 film holders. I'm not familiar with the RB67, though, and I would like to know whether it is possible to use a chimney finder or a prism on the back of the camera (as you can with the Hasselblad SWC) rather than in the waist level position. The camera will have an external viewfinder on top, but since it will also have some shift capabilities I'm looking for some way of efficiently viewing the back screen for more accurate framing.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mamiya makes a prism finder for the RB67 - check KEH, they have some in the $200 range (new sold for $800 to $1200 depending on whether a meter was included).

http://www.keh.com/onlinestore/home.aspx

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Indeed, and I have the metering prism for my RB. I haven't gone back to the waistlevel since I got it. I got mine at KEH a year or so ago.

Sounds like an interesting project you have going there!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm fairly sure mamiya made a ground glass adaptor for the rb67 that can be put on insted of the back, but I don't know if thats quite what you're looking for.

I do know the made one for the rz series, I don't know if it can be fitted the the rb though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by micek View Post
    ... I would like to know whether it is possible to use a chimney finder or a prism on the back of the camera (as you can with the Hasselblad SWC) rather than in the waist level position. ...
    If I understand your question correctly, the answer is likely "no". The stock prisms are top mounted, of course. I have not come across anything similar that mounts on the rear of the camera behind the film plane, but I could be wrong.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    David is correct. All prism finders for the RB series mount to the top to facilitate the SLR function. There is no ground glass attachment for this series made for the back. I have seen however, a number of custom modifications done for different backs with a P series adapter. Perhaps you could do the GG aspect with one of these?
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pragmatist, my inspiration has been precisely one of those custom modifications, the Corfield WA67, which uses a Mamiya RB rotating back with a GG. I might give a modified chimney finder a go. Thank you all for your answers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mods using the P back are fairly common. Often, one will see a custom back size such as 6x8 or 6x9 using a Graflex winder. I believe once I saw a GG mod for astrophotography that took an old Polaroid back and cut it apart to establish the film plane. The difficulty you are likely to encounter with any finder other than the chimney is the distance from the prism bottom to the gg. This should not be an issue with the chimney, as it is essentially a square tube with a magnifying lens at the top. Good luck, and have fun!
    Patrick

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is not quite the answer to your question, but it may help.
    Mamiya make an adaptor for the back of the RB67 called a "P" adaptor. If an "M" adaptor is added to this then any of the back accessories from the Mamiya Press may be fitted. Among these is a focusing screen holder, and a cut film holder, as well as a number of roll film holders.
    There were two versions of "M" adaptors made, a vertical, and a horizontal version.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Dave. I have been calling this adapter a P back. These are usually rather cheap on fleabay.
    Patrick

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin