Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,545   Posts: 1,572,837   Online: 1030

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Another consideration is that the ETRS has leaf shutters, which makes lenses a little more expensive. But the lenses are really, really great!
    Leaf shutters do not make the lens better, but rather allows for higher sync speeds when using flash, or in some cases better stability since you don't have the 'recoil' action of a focal plane shutter firing.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    From a quality viewpoint, bigger = better, though (for example) I'd rather have good 6x6 than mushy 6x9 -- lens quality counts for a lot.

For size/quality relationship, I'd back Hasselblad or Linhof (the latter bigger and heavier, but a much bigger useful neg).

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What do you shoot, and how do you shoot it?

If you almost ALWAYS use a tripod for landscape or studio, the bigger the better. If you shoot candid portraits or street photography, the lighter the better, etc.

For tripod-based work, I'd also recommend the Hasselblad. I put together a system from KEH with everything "bargain" rated except the film magazine (excellent), for around $600.

For non-tripod work the Mamiya M645 series with interchangeable finders are great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A couple of comments about the Mamiya M645 Super:

The "package" you have listed includes a 110mm lens. You may like that focal length, but it is a bit longer than most of the rest of your choices.

I note that Karl Blessing indicates in one of his posts that you cannot change film mid roll. The Super is, in fact, the first model of the Mamiya 645 cameras that uses removeable backs so, if you have multiple film backs, you can change them mid roll.

I have two M645 Supers, and they work fine, but the two models that followed them - the M645 Pro and the M645 Pro Tl are newer and are reportedly more rugged, especially if you plan to use a motor winder. Most (but not all) of the accessories fit all three types. All of the Manual focus lenses fit all three types.

Matt

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kb244 View Post
    Leaf shutters do not make the lens better, but rather allows for higher sync speeds when using flash, or in some cases better stability since you don't have the 'recoil' action of a focal plane shutter firing.
    True. But the Zenzanon lenses are great - independent of the shutter.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know about you, but I love my RB67

*hugs his RB67 (mainly because you need both arms to hold it)*

Though I'm sure my thoughts would change if I owned a hasselblad 500CM.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know about you, but I love my RB67

*hugs his RB67 (mainly because you need both arms to hold it)*

Though I'm sure my thoughts would change if I owned a hasselblad 500CM.
    I love my 500CM and 501CM, but they ARE finicky compared to a lot of other cameras. For me the choice in cameras comes down to my desire not to use batteries whenever possible (they always seem to die at the most inopportune time). My light meter is my only battery operated device and if I lose the juice I can usually guess close enough to bracket and get the shot I want.

Mamiya C330 TLR would be my choice. or a Mamiya 7II (6x7)

very different price points and very different styles (LTR versus rangefinders).

It all depends on your application. What are you shooting?
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is shutter recoil really that big of an issue? I'd expect the shake from the shutter to be way down in the noise compared to the mirror slap.

Shutter slap is a big issue. Try hand-holding a Pentax 6x7 and trying shooting at 1/30 of a second--really impossible. Tripod a most.

--Jeffrey
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin