Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,013   Online: 683

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Medium Format Choices.

Okay, I'm looking to start shooting more medium format, right now, i have a $25 TLR that i'm using that isnt the sharpest thing on the planet, and a holga. My budget is kinda tight, but i've narrowed my choices to a few cameras. Could you guys chime in and tell me which one is the best one?(great question, i know.)

Option 1) Mamiya M645
    M645 SUPER WITH 110 F2.8 (58), PRISM N, 120 SUPER BACK, POWER DRIVE N.

Option 2) Mamiya RB67
    RB67 WITH WAISTLEVEL, 127 F3.8, 120 BACK

Option 3) Pentax 645
    645 WITH 75 F2.8 SMC A (58), 120 INSERT

Option 4) Bronica SQ/SQA/SQAM
    SQ-AI WITH WAISTLEVEL, 80 F2.8 PS (67), 120-I BACK

Option 5) Bronica ETR/ETRS/ETRSI
    ETRS 20TH ANNIVERSARY WITH 75 F2.8 EII, 120 BACK, AE-II, BROWN LEATHER

Option 6) Bronica ETR/ETRS/ETRSI
    ETRSI WITH 75 F2.8 EII (62), 120 EI BACK, PRISM, SPEEDGRIP E

so many choices.so little knowledge.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, you can't go wrong with any of the options you've listed. Maybe before deciding which camera to get you should figure out which format you like. After that you can narrow your choices even further.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What's your budget? If it's around $1000, I would go for

Option 7) Hasselblad 500 C/M w/waistlevel, 80C T*, 120 back

Decide if you want square negs or that other format, then make your choice
    Last edited by Ranger Bob; 11-13-2006 at 01:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unless you're a collector I'd throw out ETRS 20TH ANNIVERSARY. The later ETRSI adds features and will be newer.

Unless you really need the prism I'd suggest the waist level finder. The unmetered prisms just don't add much IMHO.

If it was me I'd consider the ETRSI first. It's likely the newest of all the choices. Most flexible [asuming you can handle 6x45]

The Pentax comes with more intially. Meters. Power winder. But you can add those later to your ETRSI if you need it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the 645 format is your thing...go for the Pentax. Great lenses and it handles like a 35mm camera.

Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by awad View Post
    Okay, I'm looking to start shooting more medium format, right now, i have a $25 TLR that i'm using that isnt the sharpest thing on the planet, and a holga. My budget is kinda tight, but i've narrowed my choices to a few cameras. Could you guys chime in and tell me which one is the best one?(great question, i know.)

Option 1) Mamiya M645
    M645 SUPER WITH 110 F2.8 (58), PRISM N, 120 SUPER BACK, POWER DRIVE N.
    Decent system, capable of a waist level finder, etc, film must be shot up before using some new film as the inserts can not be removed midrolls, does not require batteries, is fully mechanical in itself

Option 2) Mamiya RB67
    RB67 WITH WAISTLEVEL, 127 F3.8, 120 BACK
    Nice system, bit heavy for some people, intended for studio work with the rotating back. I would look at a 90mm f/3.8C instead of a 127mm though, the back is removable.

Option 3) Pentax 645
    645 WITH 75 F2.8 SMC A (58), 120 INSERT
    Great system, a lot of very good lens to choose from, same problem with film insert, no possible to have a waist level finder, though you can get an angle finder. Requires batteries to operate

Option 4) Bronica SQ/SQA/SQAM
    SQ-AI WITH WAISTLEVEL, 80 F2.8 PS (67), 120-I BACK
    Not too familiar with the bronicas, but the ETRS and SQ are decent models

Option 5) Bronica ETR/ETRS/ETRSI
    ETRS 20TH ANNIVERSARY WITH 75 F2.8 EII, 120 BACK, AE-II, BROWN LEATHER
    As someone already said, more of a collector item

Option 6) Bronica ETR/ETRS/ETRSI
    ETRSI WITH 75 F2.8 EII (62), 120 EI BACK, PRISM, SPEEDGRIP E
    Not too familiar with the bronicas, but the ETRS and SQ are decent models

so many choices.so little knowledge.

Also why so strict in those configurations? Sometimes its cheaper if not better to piece together a system from scratch.

For example instead of getting a Mamiya RB67 Kit with a 127mm lens for about 215$ from keh.com I instead pieced together a RB67 Body + 90mm f/3.8C + 180mm f/4.5 + 120 Back, Waist Level Finder + Prism + Polaroid Back + 220 Back for just under 300$ , and got overnight shipping for a total of 310$.

I prefer a big negative, but some people may enjoy the more handheld capabilities of a 6x4.5 camera. I also prefer the Leaf shutter in the RB67 where as I think the rest you listed are all focal plane shutter ( though I think the newest Mamiya 645 camera is a leaf shutter).
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    Unless you really need the prism I'd suggest the waist level finder. The unmetered prisms just don't add much IMHO.
    The most useful accessory I have for my ETRS is the unmetered prism. It makes it possible to shoot vertical format without falling over.

With 6x6 it's different, and I would agree. But the ETRS is 6x4.5.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another consideration is that the ETRS has leaf shutters, which makes lenses a little more expensive. But the lenses are really, really great!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    The most useful accessory I have for my ETRS is the unmetered prism. It makes it possible to shoot vertical format without falling over.

Ditto as well, sometimes the shooting style just becomes different.

In the case of my RB67 I need not worry bout vertical or horizontal when shooting either with a prism or waist level finder since the back rotates, but a 645 camera is a hell of a lot lighter in weight.

By the way far as the hasselblad goes, you can get a 500CM with an 80mm f/2.8 T* for about 600 or so on keh.com
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post

Just shows how often I turn my ETRSI on it's side

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin