Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,646   Online: 1237

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A TLR choice

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentley Boyd View Post
    I'll second that Steve, I had a Rolleicord Vb about thirty years ago, and took the best family pictures in my life with it, the majority of the ones I most treasure were shot with it, I wish I still had it.
    I purchased a Roleiflex about a month ago late 60s one , no light meter but exceptionally clean and priior to that I had a 124 g.
    I would go the extra mile for the Rollei, being a watchmaker I can really appreciate the build quality especially of the the shutter mechanism, when you release that shutter for the first time it will be an experience you wont forget.
    You know then you have a serious piece of kit for little money.
    The negs from this camera overall are the best I have produced , maybe my lens is a little contasty but that allows me to work around grade 2 on the enlarger giving greater lattitude on printing, and the lens is pin sharp.The screen is nice and bright and th spkit screen focus on the ground glass makes sharper images more possible and less time consuming.

Dustym

www.clikpic.com/essexmonochrome
    The camera cannot lie, but it cannot help being selective.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have used Rolleiflex 2,8GX, T and Rolleicord Vb, IIb.

I much liked my Rolleiflex T. I had both Xenar and Tessar versions, where I preferred Xenar for sharper image. Rolleiflex T has a bit different shutter/aperture control lever than other Rolleiflex, which is very convenient once get used to it.

Rolleicord is mostly with Xenar. The last Rolleicord Vb has exchangeable screen and double exposure protection but the price is higher.

Rolleicord IIb has very classic Triotar lens. It is not versatile lens for various lighting situations, but makes classical image and excellent portraits. The focusing screen is very dark that you can see only the center, but I had exchanged it with Mamiya SLR screen. That costed more than 1/3 of the camera price but it was worth.

Whatever your choice is, Rollei wouldn't disappoint you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I own a Yashica Mat that I got for about 60 dollars on ebay. It takes great photos! I also bought a set of Rolleinar lens' for the bay I Yashica lens and they work great for closeup work with paralax correction. They were cheap. Maybe 20 dollars for a rolleinar 1 and 3. I've never actually used a Rolleicord so I can't compare, but I've seen many great photos that have come from Yashica Mats.

Let us know what you end up getting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nothing else in medium format approaches a Rolleiflex. They are sublime works of industrial design, with optics that have never been surpassed. If you want to shoot squares, you will not find a better camera.

There are a number of resources on the web, if you want to learn more about the cameras. For dating your Rollei, look up its serial number (found on the nameplate on top of most Rolleiflexes, between the acronyms DBP and DBGM), on this page:

http://home.worldonline.dk/rongsted/Rolleisn.htm

Harry Fleenor, a leading Rolleiflex repairman, keeps a simplified version of this chart at this page:

http://www.rolleirepairs.com/models.htm

For a visual tour of the various camera models, try this site:

http://johnsrolleionlypage.homestead...imainpage.html

Ferdi Stutterheim collects links to a variety of other Rolleiflex web resources at this page:

http://www.stutterheim.nl/rollei/tex...lei_sites.html

You can download Rolleiflex manuals for free at this site:

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/

And, finally, there is a group of about 250 Rolleiflex users on Yahoo, whose collective knowledge of these cameras is astonishing:

groups.yahoo.com/group/rolleiusers

Good luck.

Sanders McNew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nothing eh? I'd say a good Mamiya C3 or C330 TLR with the good lens like the 80mm f/2.8 (the lens are interchangeable) and such would come close if not least surpass...

But thats my opinion of the matter.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kb244 View Post
    Nothing eh?
    Yup... that's right Karl. He had it right the first time.

I have no doubt that Mamiya worked for you (and many others by the number of them around), but it is a rather heavy camera compared to a Rollei.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrich Drolshagen View Post
    Second, the 1/500sec can only be dialed in with the shutter uncocked. This is not much of an issue for me but you should know. This has been resolved with slightly later models (K4B) beginning in 1955 AFAIK.
    Aha! Mystery solved!
    Thank you Ulrich! You just saved me a trip to the mechanic!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Yup... that's right Karl. He had it right the first time.

I have no doubt that Mamiya worked for you (and many others by the number of them around), but it is a rather heavy camera compared to a Rollei.
    While I agree about the weight, I feel that for someone to be so closed minded to say that "Nothing Beats..." is one of the worst reasons to pitch a brand, just like how nothing beats a hasselblad, a rollei, a leica, deardorf, an alpa.... see where I'm going with this?
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a Rolleiflex automat MX from the mid-50's (Tessar 3.5 lens). I picked it up for less than $200. It is a wonderfully simple camera to use and well designed ergonomically. I shoot mostly b/w and the lens quality is clearly very good. It also performs well with color film, nice rendition. The viewfinder is a little dim and hard to focus in low light but that is not much of an issue for me.
    Good luck,
    Nick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kb244 View Post
    .... see where I'm going with this?
    Yup, but nothing DOES beat a Hasselblad

Hope you're having a fine day ... mine's not going so well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin