Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,108   Posts: 1,612,829   Online: 1208

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A TLR choice

Shooter
    Multi Format

A TLR choice

Hello all.
    After efw years of being out of MF for LF, I decided yet again to back me up with a light, hand-holdable MF setup, thinking TLR.
    In some past I had a short-lived experience with a Rolleicord Vb -run a few rolls through it, in general was quite satisfied but revealed a clear signs of growing fungus inside the taking lens to it went back to the seller.
    Then decided I want MF SLR instead and have a joyfull year with Bronica GS-1 which later was sold to finance my LF passion.
    Still shooting 4x5, really enjoy it, but noticed it would be more then nice to have a handy light MF for walks around, probably some street shooting and other situations where LF setup isnt' an apropriate (but a professional 35mm SLR rig is too heavy and intimidating).
    Recently bought a used Yachica Mat 124 off Ebay which was addevrtised as proffesioanlly services and in more then excellent condition. Received one and guess what ? The condition seems far frmo to be as advertised, most improtant - the lens shows obvious haze inside (or growing fungus ?) which is deal breaker for me, so I arrange with the seller for a return with refund.

I think I would still want TLR and 6x6 indeed appears to be (family portraiture should take a large part of TLR work) so I back to searching for a good TLR to acquire. Now leaning towards Rolleicord/flex though (unless a really good sample of Yashica Mat 124 will turn out...). I'm more or less familiar with teh options given in Rolleicord/flex lines, lenses, etc.. though some are still mystery for me.
    There are Rolleiflexes with Tessars and Xenars (as the Rolleicords), is Xenar a direct competitor to a Tessar ? (just like Xenotar against Planar) ?
    What is Rolleiflex Automat series ? I noticed several are offered for a reasonable pricing.
    What is Rolleiflex Tessar 3.5 MX ? There is one in excellent condition at KEH for the price that appears to be reasonable. How these can be dated ? (are these early models of 50s or probably 60s ?)

Thanks, Alex

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Alex,

Xenar is an Tessar-type lens built by Schneider-Kreuznach and as good a lens as the Tessar by CZJ. The first Rolleiflexes after WWII were Automats with Tessars and later on intermixed with Xenars.
    The term "Automat" describes a unique feature of these cameras to automatically find the beginning of the first frame and cocking the shutter at the same time as advancing the film by exactly one frame without the use of the red window at the back.
    MX refers to flash synchronisation of the shutter.
    I have an Automat 3.5A-MX (internal model name K4A). This is a really fine camera I shoot most of my pictures with (I own a SL66 too but it's too bulky to carry it around just for a walk). These early Automats - mine is from 1954 - have two drawbacks against the later ones:
    First, the groundglass is quite dim and the mirror can be corroded at the edges. An exchange with new ones, as has mine, can be expensive. It could not be done do it yourself as the optics has to be adjusted for that.
    Second, the 1/500sec can only be dialed in with the shutter uncocked. This is not much of an issue for me but you should know. This has been resolved with slightly later models (K4B) beginning in 1955 AFAIK.
    It is said, that there are early models with Tessar lenses made by Carl Zeiss Oberkochen which should be avoided due to quality issues caused by new assembly techniques. There has been a thread here some time ago discussing this topic. You should do a little research on this employing the search function.

Ulrich
    Last edited by Ulrich Drolshagen; 11-16-2006 at 04:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a Rolleicord V which is my favourite camera for taking out on walks if I don't want to load myself down with too much equipment. I don't even take a bag for it as I hate camera bags. I always seem to be carrying an empty bag and the camera.
    Although I like the Rolleicord, I would like something which was a bit more wide angle but still easy to carry. I was initially thinking about the Fuji GSW670.... until I saw one. It's about the same size as a concrete block with a lens on the front (I am possibly over-exagerating!).
    I am now thinking that a Bronica RF645 would be a good choice as it benefits from interchangeable lenses too.

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 11-16-2006 at 05:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One other thing to add in the Rolleicord's favour:
    Whenever I receive a roll of transparency film back from the lab or print a negative from a roll which has been through this camera, I always wonder why I need any other cameras (and there are a lot of others!).

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you guys, good stuff to think about...
    BTW, RF645 ? Frankly I did not considered rangefinders, perhaps I should also...
    Although bearing in mind family portraiture I intedn to do, perhaps a TLR would be still wise choice...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Some are rangefinder guys others are not. I belong to the latter. I need a groundglass to compose my picture. Except from family snapshots I never got something usable out of a rangefinder. For me it has nothing to with ease of use.

Ulrich

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow Ulrich, you have the Rollei thing nailed! Any Rollei or 'Cord are a joy to use with exceptional results.
    The earlier ones have a little less contrast than modern lenses but that's not a problem with B&W.
    Thanks Steve, I'm glad I'm not the only one that carries an empty bag in one hand and a camera in the other!

I love the Mamiya 7II as a great walkaround 6x7 MF. Ok, its not a TLR, but its light, the lenses are first rate and its not much heavier than a 35mm camera (actually my F2AS probably weighs more).

--Jeffrey
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey A. Steinberg View Post
    I love the Mamiya 7II as a great walkaround 6x7 MF. Ok, its not a TLR, but its light, the lenses are first rate and its not much heavier than a 35mm camera (actually my F2AS probably weighs more).

--Jeffrey
    If I could afford it, I think that would be my first choice for a walkaround camera too.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Family pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    One other thing to add in the Rolleicord's favour:
    Whenever I receive a roll of transparency film back from the lab or print a negative from a roll which has been through this camera, I always wonder why I need any other cameras (and there are a lot of others!).

Steve.
    I'll second that Steve, I had a Rolleicord Vb about thirty years ago, and took the best family pictures in my life with it, the majority of the ones I most treasure were shot with it, I wish I still had it.
    Ben

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin