Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,380   Online: 986

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Hasselblad 80mm CF extension tube?

Hi all,

I am using a Hasselblad 80mm CF lens. I want to get an extension tube so I can use it for close-ups. Any ideas on what to buy?

Basically, what I need is to be able to go closer to the subject and do a tighter crop until I manage to get a 120mm. I will also use it for product photography. Right now, I could only crop to the chest level for portraits 'coz of the minimum focusing distance.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Available are tubes of 8, 16, 32 and 56mm if I remember correctly!
    Maybe the 56?

Good luck!

André

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The 56 will probably get you TOO close. I'd say the 32. If you are looking to do 1:1.5, the 56 would get you in the vicinity, or at least 1:2. Also, bear in mind that you'll have at least a whole stop of exposure comp with the 56. See if you can rent one - some good camera rental places actually have the tubes available. There is also a 65-85 vari-tube if I recall correctly, but that would be definitely too much for what you're looking for.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A macro tube for portraiture? The idea behind using a longer portrait lens is so you don't have to shove the camera in subjects face (makes for a better comfort level).

A 16mm tube should be enough to fill the frame with a head shot. Any more than that for portraiture use I believe would be too close.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks André, TheFlyingCamera for the info!

Are these tubes standard tubes? Or I need something very specific for the Hasselblad? Do you have any ideas what brands I should look for?

I'll just try out the different tubes and see what I need. I still have no budget for a 120mm or a 150mm so this would be a temporary solution for now.

max_ebb has a point. I wouldn't want to get too close to the model for portrait shots. It would be useful though for product shots which I specified in my query.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 6by6cm View Post
    Thanks André, TheFlyingCamera for the info!

Are these tubes standard tubes? Or I need something very specific for the Hasselblad? Do you have any ideas what brands I should look for?

I'll just try out the different tubes and see what I need. I still have no budget for a 120mm or a 150mm so this would be a temporary solution for now.

max_ebb has a point. I wouldn't want to get too close to the model for portrait shots. It would be useful though for product shots which I specified in my query.
    Are you sure you are not confusing extension tubes with an extender? I have never seen 3rd party extension tubes for a Hasselblad, not to there are non. They are not particularly cheap either. The extension tube will get you in close but will not mimic a 120 or 150mm lens. The 2x extender will do just that. Use that with an 80mm and you get the equivalent of a 160mm lens. I bought a Vivitar 2x from KEH for a really good price.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, I think you'll find that Hasselblad extension tubes are the right tubes for the job and that these are specific for the purpose intended. The reason is because after the tube is installed on the body the lens still has to connect to the bod through the tube itself and also requires the standard bayonet mounts front for the lens (or another tube because you can stack two) and for the attachment end to the body. The only other manufacturer that might work is Kiev and I have no idea how well they might might work.
    Take it light.
    Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    Are you sure you are not confusing extension tubes with an extender? I have never seen 3rd party extension tubes for a Hasselblad, not to there are non. They are not particularly cheap either. The extension tube will get you in close but will not mimic a 120 or 150mm lens. The 2x extender will do just that. Use that with an 80mm and you get the equivalent of a 160mm lens. I bought a Vivitar 2x from KEH for a really good price.

Mike
    Now I'm confused. Probably used the wrong term. haha

Hmmm...Mike you have a point. I probably need an extender since I want to mimic a portrait lens like the 120.

How much was the Vivitar 2X and what specs do I look at when buying one? Would it just be the diameter of the lens?

Are there any other alternatives? I'm looking into something that gets the job done quality wise. Something that would give me the most value for my money. I'm ok with a little degradation in quality since it's medium format anyway.

Mark, thanks for the inputs.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 6by6cm View Post
    Now I'm confused. Probably used the wrong term. haha

Hmmm...Mike you have a point. I probably need an extender since I want to mimic a portrait lens like the 120.

How much was the Vivitar 2X and what specs do I look at when buying one? Would it just be the diameter of the lens?

Are there any other alternatives? I'm looking into something that gets the job done quality wise. Something that would give me the most value for my money. I'm ok with a little degradation in quality since it's medium format anyway.

Mark, thanks for the inputs.
    KEH (www.keh.com) has a few 2x extenders on their web site. Komura in Excellent condition is selling for $53.00 and $56.00, a 2x Rokunar for $99.00. KEH only sells over the Internet or via phone - their service is 1st class.

By the way you mount the teleconverter to the body and then the lens. When you want to put the lens back on the body take it off the teleconverter, then remove the teleconverter. Also remember you will need to increase your exposure by a full stop when using one of these puppies. You will probably loose a little sharpness compared to a prime lens, but for portraits and less than $100 can't really go wrong.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    KEH (www.keh.com) has a few 2x extenders on their web site. Komura in Excellent condition is selling for $53.00 and $56.00, a 2x Rokunar for $99.00. KEH only sells over the Internet or via phone - their service is 1st class.

By the way you mount the teleconverter to the body and then the lens. When you want to put the lens back on the body take it off the teleconverter, then remove the teleconverter. Also remember you will need to increase your exposure by a full stop when using one of these puppies. You will probably loose a little sharpness compared to a prime lens, but for portraits and less than $100 can't really go wrong.

Mike
    Thanks for info Mike. I'll check out KEH.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin