Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,728   Online: 1059

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

May cost more than the camera. Mine arrived a few days ago. I just wish the had designed it a little differently... They could have made it so that it would read to much higher aperatures like those used in pinhole cameras. There is a lot of room on the disk to accomodate the changes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    Just a personal view - the Lubitel is dirt cheap but possibly the worst conceivable choice - unless you are an expert, it's very hard to know what's going on with one of these - how about a shutter running at half speed and a viewfinder in which you can focus only on a small circle in the center, and then only in bright light and if you have perfect eyesight?

Another point - Rolleis with meters. I have had many Rolleis, only recently got one with a meter and feel the meter is virtually useless. It is strictly speaking accurate, but being a wide-field integrating type, it really needs to be angled downwards to meter landscapes correctly. Unless you can also angle your head downwards and forwards at 45°, you'll find the meter impossible to read. And as it's not coupled, it's no quicker to use than a separate meter.

Regards,

David
    I thought we were used to old full manual and difficult to use cameras... I had absolutely no problems at all using a lubitel 166U.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post

May cost more than the camera. Mine arrived a few days ago. I just wish the had designed it a little differently... They could have made it so that it would read to much higher aperatures like those used in pinhole cameras. There is a lot of room on the disk to accomodate the changes.
    I have one of these. I used letraset(sp?) tape and extended the stop markings out to f64.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I may machine a new dial and make it go from f1 to beyond f500 and extend the minutes to read several more than 4. Should be easy enough to make the changes.

edit Revelation, the numbers are just painted on the dial so it will be easy to change.
    Last edited by Greg_E; 11-25-2006 at 12:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never could get on with TLRs, but my wife uses a Mamiya C330 for all her medium format work. If that doesn't count as cheap, there is always its little brother the C220 and you get interchangable lenses.

David.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    So, in the end, my brother-in-law bought a Rolleiflex with 75mm/3.5 Tessar lens from around the year 1956 (I'm not sure of the exact type though). Everything works smoothly and well and the camera is a real pleasure to use. We spent almost all of sunday in the field shooting and then another wonderful hours in the darkroom developing the negatives and exposing some prints. It was a day of photographic pleasures...

Anyway, thank you all a lot for your recommendations, he took them seriously (the mamyia C330/C220 are almost unobtainable used in our part of the Europe, otherwise he might consider them too)

Jiri
    Last edited by poutnik; 11-27-2006 at 04:36 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling corrections
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by poutnik View Post
    So, in the end, my brother-in-law bought a Rolleiflex with 75mm/3.5 Tessar lens from around the year 1956 (I'm not sure of the exact type though). Everything works smoothly and well and the camera is a real pleasure to use. We spent almost all of sunday in the field shooting and then another wonderful hours in the darkroom developing the negatives and exposing some prints. It was a day of photographic pleasures...

Anyway, thank you all a lot for your recommendations, he took them seriously (the mamyia C330/C220 are almost unobtainable used in our part of the Europe, otherwise he mind consider them too)

Jiri
    Good choice - as you say, a real pleasure to use if everything is in good order. If you like, post the serial number and I will look it up for you and identify the model.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    Good choice - as you say, a real pleasure to use if everything is in good order. If you like, post the serial number and I will look it up for you and identify the model.

Regards,

David
    Thanks for the offer David, the camera's SN is 1276338.

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by poutnik View Post
    Thanks for the offer David, the camera's SN is 1276338.

Jiri
    This makes the camera a Rolleiflex MX (Type 2), made between June 1951 and March 1954 (serial number range 1267000 to 1427999). Apparently this model was fitted with a Zeiss-Opton Tessar until the end of 1953 and then a Carl Zeiss Tessar in 1954.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks a lot David, I'll pass that info to my brother-in-law...

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin