Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,513   Posts: 1,543,583   Online: 1133

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Medium Format
    By the way -- Peter and anyone else who has used Essex before -- how does their process usually work after one sends in a check and the signed approval to work? Do they contact you again in any way, or does a parcel containing the repaired camera just appear unannounced on your doorstep some weeks later? I notice that (according to my online banking) Essex have not cashed the check that I sent them about 10 days ago. It being a check and them being human, I would have expected they'd cash it as soon as possible after receipt, presumably about a week ago. I'm wondering if I should start getting paranoid that my payment was lost in the mail, but don't want to start being a pain in the arse to Essex by pestering them, if this is part of their iconoclastic modus operandi.
    --Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dave, from my experience with Essex, after sending the checks, the cameras just showed up after few weeks.

Jason.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Jason. I guess it's a good job I'm not going on holiday any time soon such that the unexpected Vitessa would end up sitting undefended on my doorstep for days in my absence.

Posting the question this morning was just what I needed, in that by causing myself to wait for any comments to be posted (instead of me immediately firing off a "what are you doing?" question to Essex this morning), I delayed my stupid impulse just long enough. The check cleared sometime in the five hours between my last post and now! Remember when one used to see one's bank statements only monthly?!

--Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    I'll give another recommendation for Essex. They just fixed up a Retina for me, and I couldn't have been more impressed with their service. First, I sent an email describing the problems. They responded the next day with the exact cost, including S+H. I sent off the camera and the check with a copy of their email quote, and two weeks later a perfectly repaired, 100% good as new camera was back on my doorstep.

I've tried various services over the years, with mixed results. Essex beat them all for both quality and timelyness.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wow, I did not know they were willing to do it that way (e-mail an exact quote and take payment based upon it, sight unseen) and thereby circumvent the step for the snail-mailed bill. I would think that works better for known garden-variety jobs on common cameras ("CLA this Nikon F2") than for open-ended fishing expeditions ("there are 5 things wrong with this Rolleiflex and I don't know the causes"). Presumably they're not silly enough to commit to a price on the latter (and my 2.8E is rather like that) without seeing the camera first. At least not without leaving themselves an out like saying "it'll be at least $x" rather than exactly $x. Still, cool!
    --Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Argenticien View Post
    By the way -- Peter and anyone else who has used Essex before -- how does their process usually work after one sends in a check and the signed approval to work? Do they contact you again in any way, or does a parcel containing the repaired camera just appear unannounced on your doorstep some weeks later?
    No and yes. Unless of course you sent a dodgy check, but then I see later on in the thread you didn't. Mine took exactly 5 weeks door to door and I live in MA. You're in NC so about the same distance. But there's no communication, your job eventually gets done and they send it by UPS.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    An update: The Vitessa is back from Essex. Sure enough, it just showed up on the doorstep with no prior warning. I will not be able to run a test roll through it until the week-end, but at least preliminarily, they seem to have done a superb job on it. I loaded a junk film and snapped all 36 frames, then rewound, then repeated the process, all with no problem. So it appears the formerly balky film advance is sorted, which is no small feat on the Vitessa with its idiosyncratic plunger winder. The shutter purrs, and the Ultron glass is very clean. I'm pretty convinced that if they could handle this wonky thing, they'll have an easy time with my 'flex when I've saved up for that CLA!

That's the last I'll mention of it here, since it's the wrong camera for this thread . I can't officially say Essex did perfectly, until I run a test roll through and write it up in another thread (here or on RFF). But so far, they're looking good.

--Dave

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin