Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,660   Online: 864

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Pentax 6x7 Repair

Working in the studio last Saturday with my strobe set, I removed the sync cord from my Pentax 6x7 to put on my 5x7 and the plug would not fit the sync socket - strange - on closer look the whole of the x-sync socket came out of the pentax arrgh. So no more X-sync for me until I can get it repaired - so the question - anyone know the best place for repair in the SF Bay area?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hi Mike,

I don't know of anyone in the Bay area that I would trust to fix my Pentax. I would try either CPS in Sacramento or send it directly to Pentax.

William
    "Since the fact that we exist at all is nothing more than banal, we might just as well make something grand out of it …"

Francis Bacon

http://www.williamlinne.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depending on the age of your pentax, will determine if Pentax will fix it. I have three bodies and several lenses. Two of the bodies are considerably older.... Pentax will no longer work on them. I'm not sure what their reasoning is. Its getting much more difficult to find good repair shops. I use a local place, but the repairs are limited. I once had a metal buckle on a lens strap hook under the shutter dial and pry it off like a bottle cap. It took awhile to find the parts to get that fixed.
    Don Sigl
    www.drs-fineartphoto.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have recently talked to the Pentax service/repair dept. I wanted a quote for the conversion to allow the shutter to be re-cocked without advancing the film (multi exposure enable). They said it would be over $200 plus shipping both ways, so I passed. Instead, I got a 90mm LS lens that allows me to do multi exposure, and allows flash sync at any shutter speed.

At any rate, from my understanding, if it doesn't have MLU, they won't service it, and if it has MLU, it's the same as a 67 (even if it says 6x7 on the front), and they will service it.

I wouldn't spend too much to have a 67 body serviced though. You can get one (with MLU) from KEH for $200-$250. You can also get an older 6x7 w/o MLU for less than $150.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I always sent mine to Pentax in Colorado. The werent cheap, but they did a great job.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by max_ebb View Post
    At any rate, from my understanding, if it doesn't have MLU, they won't service it, and if it has MLU, it's the same as a 67 (even if it says 6x7 on the front), and they will service it.
    I had a non MLU 6x7 and when it needed service (new shutter) I found out that the parts were no longer available, so that's why Pentax won't work on them anymore - no parts.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin