Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,908   Posts: 1,584,629   Online: 850

Images

Dropped the Mamiya 7, ouch.

I did. Today I dropped my Mamiya 7 about 2.5 feet onto concrete. Thank goodness it didn't hit the 43mm lens. It hit the wind lever and that corner instead. Broke the lever and cracked the top plastic case near the shutter speed dial towards the back and over on the front right above the shutter release. Seems to work, a bit hard to wind. That can be fixed with a new lever or a few screws and some rebar. I wonder about the cracks. Not very offset. One about the thickness of a finger nail and the corner not at all.

What is under these areas? Should I just seal this up and press on? Is it work fixing (replacing that whole top piece must be a bugger)? I'm inclined to get some super epoxy and seal it up, fix the lever, and when I get ahead, buy another used body.

Thanks.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A bit hard, can be a bad sign, not only breaking the lever, you may have shifted the gearing that handles the winding function, I would cycle it several hundreds of times without film in it to see if it loosens up a bit and if not, either send it to be repaired, or start looking for another, sounds like you have compressed the body against the gears, cycling it could introduce enough wear to free it up a bit, then shoot a test roll to see if all things are equal.

Dave

Images
    Dave, I think it is only hard to wind because the lever is so short. I sounds like always, perfect. The lever is about 1/2" long now. The sharp metal doesn't help.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    But has the focus been knocked out of whack? I have one like this, but all the plastic is fine. It was dropped on the strap mounts and one of those was bent. Otherwise it seems fine. Problem is that I bought it as part of a few other items and don't have a lens to make the finder adjustment. Are you interested in it for parts/repair?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh God, just the mental picture scares me!

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh why did I read this? It pained me to read this post. Hey mods? Since we seem to be rating everything around here that could be deemed offensive or hurtful, can we rate posts like this. I think I'll get nightmares now and I blame this post. Such vivid descriptions shouldn't be left for any wondering eye. What if I had my Hassey in my hands while I was surfing this thread (at work even)? My poor Hassey need not suffer such fly-by mental anguish. Let's start rating posts!

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes,writing a story about dropping a camera is patently obscene, shows no consideration of other photographers mental well being, and jeopordizes everyones ability to heft their favorite gear without fear, and misgiving.

It should not be allowed under any circumstance.

I may be permanently damaged.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    Oh why did I read this? It pained me to read this post. Hey mods? Since we seem to be rating everything around here that could be deemed offensive or hurtful, can we rate posts like this. I think I'll get nightmares now and I blame this post. Such vivid descriptions shouldn't be left for any wondering eye. What if I had my Hassey in my hands while I was surfing this thread (at work even)? My poor Hassey need not suffer such fly-by mental anguish. Let's start rating posts!

Regards, Art.
    Art,

I think you did a quite nice job of starting the "ranting posts!"

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gee, remind me not to drop mine!!!!:o

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Images
    I should tell you all how I did drop it. I have a Lowelpro backpack that hold the Mamiya 7, some film, a couple lenses, and a little 35. It was unzipped and I picked up the backpack by that little loop that is at the top. Just then I was distracted, but continued to lift and it spilled its guts out onto the walk. Film and camera came out. I broke the cheapest thing in there except some film.

Rich, a reminder ... Don't drop yours.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin