Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,962   Posts: 1,558,318   Online: 999

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGrosjean View Post
    I have an additional reason for staying with rugged MF cameras instead of advanced electronic ones: motorcycle travel. Most of my travel is by two wheels, and I have major concerns about electronics holding up to the climate and vibration aboard a 2-cylinder motorcycle.

MF stuff is cheap and simple (esp. some of the mid-range US-built TLRs) in comparison. On a trip, I can carry two MF cameras (main and backup, say a Rolleiflex and a Ciro-Flex TLR), and have a spare ready-to-be-shipped at home if need be.

I have also bought a Stereo Realist 35mm 3d camera recently, probably for both its rugged build and its simplicity. Well, and for 3D....
    This is counterintuitive to me. A piano has to be tuned every time it's moved. A synthisizer does not. Moving parts are much more vulnerable to motion and vubration than are solid state parts.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My conclusion that the digi-cams are rather delicate compared to old TLRs is based on what I've seen on laptops carried on motorcycles. I haven't done a detailed engineering study or anything that's really firm data, but among friends that carry computers aboard motorcycles they seem to have more trouble with display screens and hard-drive failure.

So although a digi-cam in theory is "solid state", it's an awful lot like a laptop. You've got some sort of storage medium / hard drive and you've got an LCD screen - the very two parts that worry me on computers. An LCD screen is IMO rather fragile - I've repaired a bad one on my first laptop, and it was horrible.... a tiny, maybe 4mm diameter flourescent tube to solder into a very tight spot.

In comparison, I've had only one vibration related problem with an old camera: on a 6,000 mile trip to visit Colorado ghost towns via Jeep trails on my large trail bike. The trip was pretty rough in many places, with the bike going fully airborne a few times, and my girlfriend walking about a half-dozen times, and about 4 low-speed crashes on large rocks. Late in the trip, the advance knob for my Rolleicord V had the screws loosen up inside the knob, and the knob fell off inside the camera bag. The camera was actually still usable that way but you had to hold the knob in place to advance the film, and probably to prevent light leaks as well. Once I was home with the proper screwdrivers, it was about a 5-minute fix.

I do carry a PDA and a cellphone - but on my body, to completely isolate both from vibes. That's worked well, my PDA is over 4 years old and has outlasted both my laptops combined. The cellphone isn't so old yet.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    This is counterintuitive to me. A piano has to be tuned every time it's moved. A synthisizer does not. Moving parts are much more vulnerable to motion and vubration than are solid state parts.
    The performance of a piano varies based on the expansion and contraction of its moving parts, which are affected by temperature and humidity. Very small variations are quite noticeable. A camera, by contrast, is usually only accurate to within a third of a stop, which is a pretty big interval. In general, the performance of a camera is not affected by temperature. As for the other end of the scale [pun intended], the circuits in synthesizers can be relatively simple and well shielded compared to a digicam. The vulnerability of circuits to electromagnetic fields increases as size decreases, so digicams are vulnerable by virtue of the high number of processors in a small space. So the question isn't so much vibration, which I suspect digicams and conventional cameras suffer from equally (and rangefinders especially suffer), but the effects of static and electromagnetism, to which purely mechanical devices are immune.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGrosjean View Post
    So although a digi-cam in theory is "solid state", it's an awful lot like a laptop. You've got some sort of storage medium / hard drive and you've got an LCD screen - the very two parts that worry me on computers.
    Doug,

I think you are right concerning better resistance of old cameras to vibrations. Although digicams usually don't have hard drives (except for the now rare Microdrives), they do have lots of moving parts. On point-and-shoot cameras, the plastic autofocus gears and lens deployment mechanism are quite sensitive to shocks and vibrations. On digital SLRs, there are even more tiny moving parts (shutter and mirror assembly, autofocus and auto-cocking mechanism) and, except maybe for some high-end super-expensive pro cameras, they will not withstand abuse.

Cheers,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    British pro processor Peak Imaging has said that they are having to increase their medium format capacity because demand is growing. I guess that the flood of used cameras at low prices is having an effect.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think MF stuff has become too cheap -- I can no longer maintain any discipline!

DaveT -- about to go test the Zenzanon-PS 65mm f4 that arrived yesterday

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now there is a definite preponderance of film cameras on the used market. It is so large that to add one of mine to that hoard would net me nothing. I keep my film cameras.
    But as in the previous note by DWThomas "I think MF stuff has become too cheap-- I can no longer maintain any disipline!" I'll continue to haunt Ebay and badger the local professional photgraphers for used equipment. I cannot believe that so many excellent cameras can be had for so cheap.. and the prices are still going down.
    Earlier this year a young fellow sporting a brand new, pro digital camera looked at my Nikon F2 hanging around my neck and said "Wow, there's a classic! Where do you get film?"
    Was it my job to enlighten him? I'm still thinking about it.
    Paul

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have been shooting with 4x5 Calumet camera fitted with a Calumet 6x7 roll film back. The whole outfit cost me less than $300. Does this count as MF or baby LF.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilgallb View Post
    I have been shooting with 4x5 Calumet camera fitted with a Calumet 6x7 roll film back. The whole outfit cost me less than $300. Does this count as MF or baby LF.
    Now you've got me wondering how much it would be to shoot with a 4x5 film back? $300 doesn't seem like much....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The wonderefull thing is all the cameras that we dreamed of owning are now at really low prices, I have been putting a Bronica GS-1 kit together, I just bought a 65mm Lense For $110.00 !!! because it has a 1mm mark near the edge of the front Element !!!! This lense was over $1500.00 New

The prices have got to level out soon once everyone has sold us all their worthless cameras and Lenses, Hmmm lets hope it is not too soon I want a 50mm PG for My GS-1 and a few other cameras too

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin