Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,273   Posts: 1,534,591   Online: 1020

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Is anyone else amazed at how cheap MF gear is right now?

Now that winters here I've started looking for a telephoto lens for my 500c/m, to help shoot skiing and snowboarding with. I'm amazed at how cheap you can get a 150mm sonnar for, $250-$300 for a used C, non T*'s even cheaper! Even if the lens needs a $150 repair / adjust it still seems like a sure bargain considering how much I use these things.

This is awesome, I am thinking of buying both a 150mm and a 250mm just because I can?!

After seeing collector prices when looking at old Leica M's, I'm thankful that at least one part of the market hasn't been touched by "the fondler's"!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Don't you just love the digital age
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thebanana View Post
    Don't you just love the digital age
    Yes it lets me buy gear for cheap, and use it with film or digital as needed! Still pissed at the way manufacturers abandoned completely functional designs to work in the "digital integration" that few people really wanted. This speaking specifically of the Mamiya 645. AF would be great sometimes, but I also couldn't stop using my waist level finder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Awhile back I bought an SQ-A, two backs, lens, prism finder for $350 and the thing was like new. At that price I decided I would take the plunge to replace my dead Mamiya TLR. Even if MF film goes away in a few years I will easily get my money's worth out of it.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I love that Hasselblad gear is so cheap now. My 501CM has quickly become my favourite camera.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    "how cheap MF gear is right now" Now?

It's been this way for a few years. High-end digital has replaced the need for it, in most cases. Notice that it's not happening wiith LF gear? I, too, shelved my Pentax 67 system when I got a Canon 1Ds. Couldn't sell the minty 67 system for any decent dough. I just put it back in service for B&W exclusively, since my scanning equipment and skills have advanced to a good point. A scanned 6x7 neg gives me a lot more to work with than a digital BW conversion. I'm Baaacckk!!
    Jeffrey Sipress -
    Santa Barbara, CA -

My Photo Site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unfortunately only some medium format gear. Certain lenses are still expensive, depending upon brand. The Contax 645 is still holding a fairly high price range, especially when you consider it is a discontinued camera. Anyway, there are lots of other relative bargains.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    LOL

I got into medium format a couple years ago because digimania made it affordable, and I definitely haven't looked back. I am sure that the same is true for many, many others.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    LOL

I got into medium format a couple years ago because digimania made it affordable, and I definitely haven't looked back. I am sure that the same is true for many, many others.
    We upgraded our Hasselblad when scads of folks "went digital" and sold their MF gear at fire sale prices. Their loss, our gain!
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn View Post
    Awhile back I bought an SQ-A, two backs, lens, prism finder for $350 and the thing was like new. At that price I decided I would take the plunge to replace my dead Mamiya TLR. Even if MF film goes away in a few years I will easily get my money's worth out of it.
    True, though I wouldn't count on it - I think 120 film will be made for a good long time....
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin