Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,429   Online: 836

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Doomed?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    As they say... Macht's besser, aber net so oft.

Film vs Digi? There is a simple satisfaction one gets from the "feel" of film.

Also, hab keine Angst. The feeling will leave you for the 'blad and then you will be drawn to larger and lager formats. You may even have to sell your digi to get better film kit.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Antje,

Take comfort in the fact that you are not alone and many people world-wide have the same need for support (although it is more like encouragement on this site). We are here for each other every step of the way: 35mm, MF, LF...

Really, this is a great site full of extremely knowledgable and helpful people. Good luck with your shooting.

Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Antje View Post
    I sure am doomed - I bought this Rolleicord last week, shot a few rolls of film, bought some lab equipment and developed my first B/W rolls, and this weekend I suddenly found myself searching Ebay for a Hasselblad with back and lens.

Antje
    Antje, welcome to the Rollei world. My first real camera was a Rolleiflex 3.5E, a delicious camera that remains one of my workhorses.

Like you, once seduced by the Rolleiflex, I began to consider other possibilities, other cameras. Like you, I moved to a Hasselblad ... then to a 4x5 view camera ... then to a 5x7 view camera. And a variety of minor experiments in between. And now I've returned to a Rolleiflex (this time a Tele Rolleiflex).

I continue to use my view camera a lot. But in the end, the Rolleiflex remains my truest love. They are jewels of industrial design. The optics are peerless. They feel right.

If I were to do it again, I'd forget about the Hasselblad. They are crude tools by comparison with your Rolleicord. Me, I shoot 95+ percent of my work in one focal length anyway, so the sole advantage of the Hasselblad -- interchangeable lenses -- is of little value to me. The conventional Rolleiflex lens is a bit short for my portraiture, so I moved to the Tele Rolleiflex (there is a RolleiWide as well) and it fits me like a glove. If I were limited to one camera for the rest of my life, the Tele Rolleiflex would do it for me.

Enjoy your Rolleicord.

Sanders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am truly sorry - so few were ever able to pullback once the negatives get temptingly large.
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Images
    Sell the canon stuff to fund the hassy. That way you won't feel guilty.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just buy it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanders McNew View Post
    If I were to do it again, I'd forget about the Hasselblad. They are crude tools by comparison with your Rolleicord. Me, I shoot 95+ percent of my work in one focal length anyway, so the sole advantage of the Hasselblad -- interchangeable lenses -- is of little value to me.
    I beg your pardon, Sanders!

It`s clear that the greatest MF system camera ever built, rejected the photographer!
    Happens all the time , but I do agree the Rolleiflex it`s a fantastic tool, but a tad limited.

Antje, buy that Blad and be a happy individual.

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanders McNew View Post
    If I were to do it again, I'd forget about the Hasselblad. They are crude tools by comparison with your Rolleicord. Me, I shoot 95+ percent of my work in one focal length anyway, so the sole advantage of the Hasselblad -- interchangeable lenses -- is of little value to me.
    If I knew of your blasphemic views regarding the Goddess of the photographic machines, I wouldn't stand by your deeply offensive and repulsive "images" of shameless women.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Come to the light, Ari: Shoot a Rolleiflex! :-D

Sanders

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by André E.C. View Post
    I beg your pardon, Sanders!

It`s clear that the greatest MF system camera ever built, rejected the photographer!
    Happens all the time , but I do agree the Rolleiflex it`s a fantastic tool, but a tad limited.

Antje, buy that Blad and be a happy individual.

Cheers

André
    I agree with Andre. I wanted to by Hasselblad since early seventies when I spend six years in West Germany at the time with young family and no money it was a dream. I got my dream fulfilled I have two Blads now and if I want to shoot something important always take Blad with me. Even when I go out and shoot with my 4X5 or 8X10 Blad is always by my side. As Andre said Rolly is great but a bit limited.
    BTW welcome to best site for traditional photography in the world.

Greg
    Looking is a gift, but seeing is power.

Buster6X6

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin