Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,373   Online: 1081

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Doomed?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I also have to add that you're deep in the mud (or developer should I say )

My brother-in-law has also a Canon (350D). This friday he bought a Rolleiflex, on sunday we have been out trying it and developing the negs. When I took the negs out, he said the camera is definitely not going back to the seller (he has some time to try everything). And when we printed the first photo from this neg, he was totally caught. He said the 35mm film he was shooting ages ago was dead (sorry small format folks).

He is stuck so deep that today he went out and bought an enlarger and other darkroom stuff...

And I'm soooo happy that I have a similar soul around

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Well I have a few old Rolleis and I must admit the 'T' is my favourite because it is almost weightless and the tessar is delicious. But the same thing happened to me. I actually picked up a 500 cm and smelled it! Am a crazy or what. It had a certain perfumey odour that was half femine and half mechanical. Well the rest is history...Now my wife doesn't know any of this so let's keep it on the QT shall we.
    PS The photos from the camera can be terrific but that part of the equation seems to depend on the mind rather than the gonads. Enjoy your Hasselblad!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by poutnik View Post
    And when we printed the first photo from this neg, he was totally caught. He said the 35mm film he was shooting ages ago was dead (sorry small format folks).
    One of the most poignant parts of the recent Diane Arbus: Revelations exhibit(I saw it in NYC) was the room where they displayed her 35mm Nikon alongside her Rolleiflex. The curators surrounded the cameras with excerpts of Arbus's letters to various people about how she felt as she made the transition from 35mm to 6x6. At one point, she said she felt as if she had not yet mastered the language of medium format, but couldn't go back to 35mm film.

I bet most MF and LF photographers can recall the first time they pulled a big negative from the fixer and had a look. It's powerful stuff.

Sanders.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanders McNew View Post

I bet most MF and LF photographers can recall the first time they pulled a big negative from the fixer and had a look. It's powerful stuff.

Sanders.
    Sanders, you're right. I can not speak very loudly about that when my wife is around, but I already have 2 8×10" holders I got for free from my friend. And I am already envisaging the negs by simply holding the holders... Have only find a way to get a camera for the holders and not ruin my purse...

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    ... I even have some lenses (thanks Ole, the 280mm Hugo Meyer is interesting on 9×12cm too ) to let the light on film in those holders...

Jiri
    Last edited by poutnik; 11-27-2006 at 02:22 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: some words missing
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My 35mm photography is actually going through something like a small renaissance at the moment, courtesy of a Bessa-L and a 21mm lens. Small, light, and works without batteries. Just like old MF folders - but they don't have the wide-angle lenses I discovered I need at work (offshore oil rigs). The last picture I posted in the gallery was shot with that!

So much of the time I have either one of my old MF folders in a pocket, or an equally old and folding Voigtländer Vito II. Great little cameras, and eminently portable!

But if I go out with the purpose of taking pictures, I'll bring a 4x5". Or a 5x7". Or a 18x24cm. Or maybe the 24x30cm...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It is so good to be with people who got it worse and still seem to lead a perfectly happy life... I'm watching a couple of auctions now to test the waters. At least that's how I rationalize it. Resistance is futile, I fear.

Antje

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Antje View Post
    Resistance is futile

You WILL be assimilated.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Antje, don't watch . The temptation will be so high you will not be successful resisting the need to take part...

"How can I make this lens/camera/holder (whatever) go by for such a price... I may not have the same chance..." And then you're yet deeper...

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh you are doomed... just plain doomed!!
    It only gets worse. Every once in a while I catch myself eyeing an 8x10, but have to pinch myself back to fiscal reality. My old, refinished Kodak 2D 5x7 does just fine... it does just fine... it does just fine...

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin