Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,208   Posts: 1,531,921   Online: 1122

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Doomed?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Doomed?

I sure am doomed - I bought this Rolleicord last week, shot a few rolls of film, bought some lab equipment and developed my first B/W rolls, and this weekend I suddenly found myself searching Ebay for a Hasselblad with back and lens... What am I doing here? I own a Canon 20D with all the lenses I could wish for that sees several hundred to thousands actuations each month. I shoot mostly macro and wildlife, and now I'm hankering after a system that would lend itself more to landscape, portraits and such. I saw this nice 501 at a camera store and couldn't keep my eyes off the big viewfinder... It even smelled nice. And then this beautiful 6x6 format...

Could someone please talk me out of it? I almost long for the days when I was a student and Hasselblads so expensive that I couldn't even dream of them. Now I could just go and buy one. I should have my husband hide my credit card for me.

And all of this just because I wanted to give this neglected little Rolleicord a nice new home. What have I done!

Sorry for the rant - I simply needed to talk about my new love.

Antje

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You are doomed allright. Pretty soon you'll be using the Canon as a bookend and not being able to look at digital stuff anymore.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yup, doomed.

hassy-owner -- MW
    Men, said the Devil, are good to their brothers: they don’t want to mend their own ways, but each others.
    -- Piet Hein

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You have now set the pattern for the rest of your life. If you want to stop yourself making instant purchases, freeze your credit card inside a large block of ice. Next time you want to buy something you have the time it takes for the ice to freeze to think about your purchase!

Steve.

A fellow Rolleicord owner. (and a Bronica ETRS, two Olympus XAs, Nikon FG, Nikon F601, Flexaret, Zeiss Ikon, Canon QL, Homemade 5x4, modified Polaroids, etc... etc... !!)
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah - no going back

Enjoy.

best wishes,
    Cate

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for your understanding, guys... I really needed a shoulder to cry on. Now where is that next cameraholic meeting?

I do see a pattern here. My dad has approximately ten zillion cameras of all kinds (and about ten MF, LF, pinhole, digital and other cameras he uses regularly). I never thought I could actually buy a camera just because it looked at me twin-eyed from a shelf, which is basically the way my dad acquired his collection. Seems like I just never met the right one until this moment! Must be something in my genes, as well.

Thankfully, I've been a very poor student long enough to be forever reluctant to spend - I think the prudent step would be shooting the Rolleicord for a while until I find out if that's really what I want.

That, and staying away from Ebay and every camera store in town.

Antje

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Soon you'll need an 8x10.
    juan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In the long run you may be doomed, but as you say, a good few films through the Rolleicord is a good way to start!

It's possible to do a lot with it. I've done portraits, landscape, details in landscape, architecture and just about everything except pure action stuff with my Rolleicords.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whatya want for that 20D?

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, there is a cure to what is happening. Just go LF and get it over with. And BTW welcome to APUG.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin