Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,785   Online: 1022

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rollei SL66SE Exclusive Professional #'d model?

I bought a pair of Rollei cameras sight unseen from a rather odd (to put it lightly) gentleman ( I think he had a part in the film DELIVERENCE). What I got was a 12/24 3,5 Planar White Face TLR--- a fine plus example and an unused, as in not a roll through it but a roll in it--never on a tripod--Rollei SL66SE with the standard 80 mm attached (mint/new) and a 50 mm that was apparently bought second hand. These cameras belonged to the gentlemans father that recently passed and "Bugsy" (the Son) and his sister "Minnie" were in need of fast cash !! So I jumped--sight unseen by the description he gave me and getting that bit of info was like pulling teeth and he had few to spare (this is the truth now !) My Question regards the SL66SE--aparently his daddy bought this as a collectible and never used it though it had a few little scratches that likely came from "Bugsy" and "Minnie" pawing at it ! It looks fresh from a box (I got no box or paperwork) but is marked with some Gold plating (Gold RolleiFlex Name Plate on the front) and (Gold Plate around and under the Film reminder on the back that says RolleiFlex SL66SE EXCLUSIVE PROFESSIONAL) and a number in gold being 92 of 144 below and forward of the camera winding knob---Even the dark slide has ZERO scratches from NO use---my question--is this camera anything out of the ordinay or should I just go on and play with it, sell it, or what? Any info appreciated as I can find little via a google search!!
    I bought it to resell but darn it is a really pretty camera and being a Hassy user myself I was shocked at it's close focus capability with no extra ext tubes--I only noitced that because I racked it out quite a bite and noticed my hand in focus on the focus screen at a VERY close proximity---my Hassy can't do that without a tube !!
    Please advise--What is a Gold Plated Rollei SL66SE EXCLUSIVE PROFESSIONAL model??
    Joseph Burke

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    All SL66 are exclusive and professional Unfortunately the famous site sl66.com is down quite a while (rolleiclub.com is announced to be back in 2007 though). So we can not lookup the camera. IIRC it was made of spare parts after closing the production with collectors in mind. AFAIK besides the goldplates and the numbering there should not be anything special about it.
    Cameras are built for taking pictures. I would use it for what its made for.
    You may not have noticed: You can mount the lens in retro position and get even closer. The attached picture was taken with the 80mm in retro position. It was my very first macro. Most of the time I use the tilt for landscape work. It is a very fine camera and I would never give it away. But of course, I don't own a Hassy

Ulrich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spinne_ilford.jpeg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll have to check my Global Rollei Club CD-ROMS for this model and report back. I have been selling them on the RUG if you're looking for a one-stop SL66 information bonanza. (pm please)

Here is another, retro mounted 50mm Distagon HFT, Efke 25 D76 1:1

If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    DOn't trade your SL 66 for a Hassy. I sold my Hassy to get the SL66 and have never been sorry. It has too many features which are missing on the Hassy to want to go back.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/rolleiusers/

Lately it's been nothing but crap, so a question like this would be a most welcome site. Someone will be able to tell you what it is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Joseph,

Check the link below on Photo.net. Richard Vogel makes comment regarding your camera. However, apparently there more of these limited edition cameras than Richard thought.

Here is the link:

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=000Guu

Hope this helps.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Allright I'm still stumped--Very, Very little info on the web on these models--I'm still not gonna use it yet--much !! I did see that KEH has one currently in the same form as mineRollei 6X6 SLR--pretty pricey for a used camera out of production--I may have a real prize--well it's a real gem either way --This is current KEH.com listing :
    SL66SE EXCLUSIVE PRO WITH 80 F2.8 PLANAR HFT, WAISTLEVEL, 120 BACK, MEDIUM FORMAT SLR MANUAL FOCUS CAMERA OUTFITGrade Now Was
    LN- $2,569.00
    Joseph Burke

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you don't want to use it out of fear that something will happen to it, it's almost worthless, might as well sell it and use the money to buy a real shooter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Joseph,

Don't forget that the SL66E and then the SL66SE were never produced in the quantities of the original SL66 cameras. Being made in such low numbers would contribute to an increased cost and value. Additionally, being only one of the 144 in the limited edition would certainly make the camera more valuable and as a result more expensive. Rollei like Leica have made limited production/edition versions of their cameras over time. They would be more valuable. But, I question whether your camera would probably have the value of some of the gold versions of the Rollei or the Leica cameras.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Allrighty--I've sent an email to KEH to inquire--for what that's worth!--and, Rich, the email for Richard Vogel (poster at photo.net) is invalid so thats a dead end. Lastly another Curiousity--the Rollei Gold Plate says 92/144 but the camera serial # is oddly---711710001--Hmm! So is it the first one in actuality !! Kinda reminds me of Shelby Mustang serial #'s --The Shelby Vin Tag #'s were not necessarily built in sequence meaning a later numbered car might actually be built first--cars were assigned a number by color batches, etc... Trivial but still a curiousity !!
    Joseph Burke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin