Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,518   Online: 1034

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On a serious animal photography note. Is it safe to use flash/strobe? Maybe bounced off ceiling and not direct. What about a softbox? Any thoughts?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use flash all the time with my animals - but always bounced or with a softbox and only the lowly Canon 420EX. They (two chinchillas and a cat) don't mind if it's bounced. The chinchillas are a bit afraid of the softbox, though. I never thought about flashing directly because I just don't like the light that creates.

Antje

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Antje View Post
    I use flash all the time with my animals - but always bounced or with a softbox and only the lowly Canon 420EX. They (two chinchillas and a cat) don't mind if it's bounced. The chinchillas are a bit afraid of the softbox, though. I never thought about flashing directly because I just don't like the light that creates.

Antje
    In last few weeks I shot about 6 rolls of Fuji Provia and Velvia to capture the litter of 6 pups that our dachshund delivered on October 25. I used a Bronica EC (because it allows me to get a real low angle of view) with the 80 mm/2,4 Zenzanon MC and a Metz 40MZ2 in manual mode, powered down to give just the right amount of light at a distance of 60 cms. (2 feet). At this setting, the flash doesn't seem to disturbe the puppies as much as the very loud mirror slap of the Bronica. I also used my Leica M2 with a 50 mm dual range Summicron (with "spectacles") and again with a 40MZ1 or 40MZ2, which I find ideal for photographing (I would rather not use the word "shooting" in this context) animals close up: a very silent camera and just a small bit of flash.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin