Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,660   Online: 812

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pin holes in the focus bellows. I also met one where the mirror up also fired the shutter.

David.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I solved the Weight problem of a RB 6x7 by replacing mine with a Bronica GS-1
    It is lighter and has a great metered prism, and you set the film speed on the back. With a Standard crank winder and a 65mm lense, 2 x 120 backs it is rather light, It does not have as many lenses as a RB or a RZ Ect but, I am very happy with the results I am getting so far. The other camera I have Bought for travel is the Fuji GA645s Rangefinder the results so far alot better than I expected the 60mm lense is Amazing the negs and Slides are ultra sharp with no light fall off.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the advice.

I went to a local Camera Store and quick lifted the RB67. Yeah, with a lens and prism finder it would wiegh almost as much as my Calumet 4x5. I think I will need to consider a Crown Graphic or other folding view camera. I also realize that I have become dependant on movements.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wirehead View Post
    Can you give more details on how I could use an RB lens on a mini graphic?
    OMG! Sorry!:o

I was refering to the original question about replacing a 4x5 with an RB. Can't tell you how to use an RB lens on a graphic.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I find my RB Pro S to be just fine as a field camera, very tough. It recently took a fall and landed square on the front of the 90mm lens with the bellows fully extended. The lens needs a new shutter now, but the RB itself, no phase. Had it checked out and everything is just fine. Also, I got rid of the prism finder (that was like placing a brick on top of a rock to carry around) for a waistlevel finder and the camera is not near as cumbersome as before, actually quite nice by comparison. There was never a time that I was more glad to have that beast as the moment I saw that camera hit the ground because I really felt it could take it. However, I was instantly concerned about the lens, the glass was, remarkably, ok, but the leaf shutter is jammed up, going to cost $125 for a new shutter.

Good luck
    Chuck

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck1 View Post
    However, I was instantly concerned about the lens, the glass was, remarkably, ok, but the leaf shutter is jammed up, going to cost $125 for a new shutter.
    Chuck, at the price of 90s on fleabay, it will likely cost you more to replace the shutter than it will to get a completely different lens. As to the RB as a field camera, this subject keeps coming up over and over. Each time the concensus is the same; there are those who say its great, those who think its too heavy, and those who recommend a Graflex or Bronica...

I have found the bodies and lens kit to be great for field use. Its best to get a quality backpack to carry your kit in. Although there are those who will immediately say, OMG, I use a Tamrac Expedition 8. It holds two bodies, three lenses, filters, flashes, grips, WLF, prism finder, several backs, Lindahl shades, film, and other accessories. While this might be overkill for some, the whole thing weighs in at about 40lbs and is balanced well.

For lighter duties, a smaller backpack is in order. Working crowds, events, small off road adventures can be done easily with an OpTech strap and trigger grip. Use the WLF finder.... I have found little use for a prism finder outside the studio.

As stated, things to look for are bad seals on the RB and RB Pro backs. This can be totally avoided by the Pro SD back which does not use seals. The damper foam for the mirror goes too, but is easily repaired. Stick with the SD series and you will usually avoid bellows or mechanical problems unless the camera has been beat to death commercially. The SD also allows the use of both C & KL series lenses with an adapter.

But, like the others have said, if you absolutely have to include movements, an old Graflex style is the way. You can even move up to a much lighter and 4x5 capability (in addition to roll film and Polaroid) by going with the aluminum body Super Graphic or the Busch Pressman D. The Pressman is a very reasonable alternative to the Super, and even has more range of movements. All of your 4x5 lenses will work with either of those...
    Cheers,

Patrick

When you come to a fork in the road, take it...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The problem with Mamiya RB67/RZ67 can be that many if not most spend their lives in the hands of pros who crank a awful lot of film through them. I remember a while back reading an interview with the glamour photographer Beverley Goodway, who prided himself in recognising when his RB67 was just about to expire and trading it in! Another interview was with the portrait photographer Rankin, who reckoned to replace his RZ67s around every 6 months (after shooting around 20 to 40 rolls a day during this time). #1 priority therefore should be to find an camera which has been amateur-owned and looked after (mine is 10 years old, I have used it for the occasional session where I have shot 10 rolls, most of the time it's in the case and it still looks and handles like brand new). RB67/RZ67 are good pro cameras, they don't quite have the toughness of Hasselblad!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin