Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,476   Online: 1079

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

USED RB67, what to look out for

I have been shooting 6x7 with an old Calumet 4x5 view camera with a roll film back. I love the format but the equipment is too old, fragile and heavy to do any serious back packing. So I am considering the purchase of a used RB67. Yeah I know an RB67 is not exactly light and small but they seem more rugged than a 4x5 view camera.

Is there any known problems I should look out for before I invest? Is an old work horse likely to have shutter, bellows or other common problems?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look out for aged light seals. They can be replaced if they leak though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have an RB 67 pro SD, I would go for that version if you can. There are a few differences between them.

As you know the RBs have no movements, so if you want that you might consider a 2x3"/6x9cm camera. I have a horseman VH that weighs about a third of the RB. And the VH takes all the RB backs, from 645 to 6x8. Maybe worth considering if you have been using a view camera.

I love my RB though! I just wouldn't take it backpacking.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The pro-SD can take the 75mm tilt-shift, wheras the Pro-S and Pro can't.

Of course, I kinda wonder if it's a more economical option to just get any of the 2x3/6x9 view cameras with a graflex back...

The usual things with any old camera apply -- shutter accuracy, pinholes in the bellows, aged light seals, etc. but not necessarily anything specific to the camera, from what I can tell.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wirehead View Post
    Of course, I kinda wonder if it's a more economical option to just get any of the 2x3/6x9 view cameras with a graflex back...
    I would get a mini graphic with the 6x7 roll film holder. You could probably use whatever lenses you're using now.

Don't get me wrong, I have an RB and I really like it, but would not go hiking with the thing strapped to me! :o
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Watch for deteriorated foam seals on the film backs and the body. As for the weight, I don't find the RB with waistlevel finder terribly heavy. I have an RB with the CDS prism, and yes, it weighs a ton. I actually have carried it around on outdoor shoots with the CDS prism attatched. It is like a workout!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The RZ has a lens-extension tube combination with movements. It is limited compared to 4x5 but is available if you need that feature.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have had a couple of "car batteries" and I can say it is all that much lighter than some of the field cameras and I know for a fact it ain't lighter than a mini speed, I would look at a couple of the mini speed models and go from there.

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    I would get a mini graphic with the 6x7 roll film holder. You could probably use whatever lenses you're using now.

Don't get me wrong, I have an RB and I really like it, but would not go hiking with the thing strapped to me! :o
    Can you give more details on how I could use an RB lens on a mini graphic? Is it a commonly available lens board that doesn't require you to cock the shutter from the back, or would one need to hack it?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm thinking David meant your 4x5 lenses on the mini graphic.
    Graphics are rugged cameras. Like, wash it off with the hose and take it apart with a flathead screwdriver rugged. Well, not really but pretty close.

I use a 4x5 crown graphic with a 6x7 back. It's as light as my hasselblad w/80mm lens with waistlevel. I use it handheld. For hiking, this would work great as it packs up real nice and sturdy. Not too much movement but it's more than the RB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin