Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,873   Online: 979

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The trimmed spools that J&C sell do work in the Medalist. I usually rolled my own though. I know it's not much of a chore, but I would still prefer to use any 120 right out of the box.

You do have to use a 620 takeup spool though. The holes/notches in the ends of the 120 spools are bigger than in the 620 spools and the winding crank won't grab properly.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I posted the following question on p.n also, apologies for you double-lookers.

Anyone know if a full roll of 220 will fit on 620 spools? Without winding it so tight it squeaks? I got a boxload of Agfa XPS160 recently for...some project, whatever it turns out to be....
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce terry View Post
    All this Medalist vintage talk has me fondling the fold-out rails of my wife's dad's working 1946 Monitor (Kodak Anastigmat Special f/4.5 101mm lens).

Don't know I'll actually ever go to the trouble of spooling it up but the enthusiasm here tells me I should.

Thanks for giving me something else to feel guilty about. :•(

Bruce
    Bruce, do it! If you can't get a Medalist, that Monitor is the next best thing. While its lens is not in the same ballpark as the Ektar on the Medalist (the design used for Hasselblad's first lenses) it is in the parking lot. Try it, you'll like it.
    Outwest

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Second on the Monitor. I have a Vigilant with the same lens, its one of my favorite cameras and surprisingly good. Shoot away!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Second for the Monitor. I have the lens/shutter from a monitor I use on my Century Graphic. Surprisingly sharp and contrasty in b&w.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by outwest View Post
    Bruce, do it! If you can't get a Medalist, that Monitor is the next best thing. While its lens is not in the same ballpark as the Ektar on the Medalist (the design used for Hasselblad's first lenses) it is in the parking lot. Try it, you'll like it.
    Outwest
    Outwest, go here ttp://www.hevanet.com/cperez/testing.html to see a test of the 105/3.7 version of the Medallist's 100/3.5. Note that although Chris shot on 4x5 film he measured resolution on 2x3. Then go up to Chris' home page (link at the upper LH corner of the page I sent you to) and down to medium format lens tests, where you'll find tests of at least one 101/4.5.

Short answer, at f/8 and smaller apertures the tessar type 101/4.5 Ektar (originally sold as Kodak Anastigmat) is sharper than the 105/3.7 heliar type Ektar. My less formal testing got the same results as Chris' -- 101/4.5 sharper than 105/3.7 -- so I sold my 105/3.7. I recently got another 105/3.7, unfortunately in kaput shutter, and will eventually resurrect the shutter and try again.

Murray, a quart into a pint pot will not go.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    OK, I'm stoked.

Just found a little red-cover "Snapshots" photo booklet with with 24 original plastic-sleeved B&W prints inside, vivid as when they were taken in the late 40's early 50's!

Any recommendations on a CLA source for the Monitor and shutter (the linkage to the on-body shutter release needs minor tweaking and the Supermatic seems to cycle only at 1/25th and lower. High speeds simply do the 25th).

Thanks, and sorry to butt-in on the Medallistaphobia.

Bruce

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by matt miller View Post
    The trimmed spools that J&C sell do work in the Medalist. I usually rolled my own though. I know it's not much of a chore, but I would still prefer to use any 120 right out of the box.
    That's good to know. I was thinking of the unprofessional route that some of us take -- using a pair of toe-nail clippers or wire cutters to whack down the spool in a very uneven manner.

It's a shame that Kodak maintained this slavish devotion to 620 film when it came to its cameras.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quart into a pint.

Usually when people try to get 10# into a 5# container, they >almost< do it...I was wondering how close...

I did a 120-620 today in daylight for practice & put it into a Kiev 88 back to get it spooled in reverse first. I wound it around the wrong side so it wouldn't go back into it's cover...started over and upon removing the spool I must not have had a good grip because it got away from me & unwound.

I at least accomplished something by observing the tape bump that occurs upon rewinding onto a different diameter spool, lifting it and smoothing it down. I wasn't real impressed with my ability to keep the backing paper from bunching up against the spool flanges.

I'm sure the whole process would have been much easier in the dark :O(

At least it was a $1.50 roll instead of an $8 roll.
    Murray

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Murray keep trying. I usually use a Rolleiflex to quickly crank it on to a 120 spool. Then re-spool by hand inside a changing bag.

I think it usually takes about a minute or two inside the bag. I'm not trying to set any speed records, so I just take my time. I believe all of us have to lift the film and tape off the paper backing and reseat it.

It should only move 1/8 to 1/4 inch -- not enough to cause problems when you line up that first shot.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin