Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,401   Online: 732

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Thanks DG
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne View Post
    The lens on the Medalist is a 5 element Heliar type designed exclusively for the Medalist and used on no other camera. It is stunningly sharp if in proper focus
    Mark
    It is very similar in design to the 105mm f3.7 Ektar--at least according to Richard Knoppow.

The 105 was used on the Mini-speed graphic. This is another camera that saw a lot of military use. For example, see "Sparks" in my avatar. He was photographer on the Arthur Middleton (APA-25).

Matt

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I think someone here may have said he used 220 film in a Medallist.

I just practiced rerolling an ancient 220 roll onto the 620 spool and other than hand contact with the film itself it was actually easier than doing 120...the paper is taped at BOTH ends on the 220.

I had difficulty figuring out where the beginning of the roll was on the camera. The backer paper had a 'start' mark, as well as a dotted line for 'special equipment'.

I wound 'til the dotted line showed up in the window, assuming a camera with frame counter constituted 'special equipment' rather than red-window-equipment, then opened it to check, and the film was nowhere near started...

Any 220 users, how do you figure it out?

For 120, looks like counter set to '0' allows you to wind as long as you want without being stopped by the assumed frame spacing, then set it at '1' when 1 shows in the window, & ignore the window after that.

For 220, I guess once you shoot #8, move the counter to 1, wind to 9 & continue thru 16 (reset to 1 if necessary after winding from 8 to 9)?

Thanks
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    220 may get fogged. It has no backing paper, just a leader and a trailer. The Medalist uses a red window in the back to line up the first exposure, and that could leak light onto the unbacked film. Also, the exposure counter and winding mechanism is set for eight exposures per roll.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Someone told me they have used it successfully...I would probably cover the window once I figured out where the start was...some people I guess just wind a fixed number of rotations & start.

I understand you just reset the counter halfway thru...similar with Kiev 120 backs).

Thank you
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Murray, look at your PMs on www.graflex.org

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Well garsh Dan, I didn't even know I could check PM's there while they were in upgrade mode.

Now I have to figure out which part to be insulted by.
    Murray

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Hmmm, I'm back....

I converted it to 120...I nearly gave up. I probably shouldn't even say I did it for fear someone will ask me how, and I don't think I want to be involved in a second one. Now I know why Bald Mountain is bald & why it costs what it does.

My red window door spring was broken so I got into that too, made a hairpin spring out of music wire (sorry, piano, no one was playing that key anyway) & I noted they were serious about that red window. It has a metal shutter door over it, then a plate (I'm tempted to call it a manifold) with several screws and it's sealed with black paint. Then the pressure plate is over that.

I'm not sure water will leak thru there.

I ran a roll of 120 and a roll of 220 thru it...won't know what damage I did to the film until I get them back. I neglected to fill the rivet holes occupied by the former 620 spool holder. Someone told me they will leak light...we shall see.

Today I won a bid for the accessory back. They were going for as much more a while back, so I laid low for a while & got one for 1/3 of the last two auctions...patience...yes...

Has anyone seen the unique sheet film holders for this? They don't seem too common.

I'm hoping Kodak was ingenious enough to match the focal plane between the accessory back and the conventional back....it would make the accessory back useful for previewing or something if I can't find the sheet film holders.
    Murray

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray@uptowngallery View Post
    Hmmm, I'm back....

Today I won a bid for the accessory back. They were going for as much more a while back, so I laid low for a while & got one for 1/3 of the last two auctions...patience...yes...

Has anyone seen the unique sheet film holders for this? They don't seem too common.

I'm hoping Kodak was ingenious enough to match the focal plane between the accessory back and the conventional back....it would make the accessory back useful for previewing or something if I can't find the sheet film holders.

Murray--

I have 18 of the cut film holders and a very nice accessory back. I have not used them for decades, since boyhood when I was learning photography on my father's Medalist II.

sselkind

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Sselkind - sent pm

Others - I ran a roll of expired 220 Agfa XPS160 thru the Medalist this past weekend. No apparent light leaks. I watched the paper in the red window until I saw the edge of it. I forgot to wind further-that is obviously NOT the beginning of the frame. (Insert step here to wind another turn/half frame), then set the counter to 1. I forgot to reset counter at 8 - the auto spacing doesn't stop at what would be 9...the camera assumes after 8 is paper. So after a frame and a half or so I realized I had forgotten to wind 2 turns and reset counter to 1.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...y.php?cat=6934

Not done scanning the roll yet.

Shot at EI 100, no filters or lens hood. Unknown shutter performance, suspect a bit slow. This film is reportedly pretty neutral regarding saturation & someone suggested EI 100 to give it a little more impact.

Look pretty natural to me on uncalibrated monitors (CRT & LCD).

Chrome film gets picked up from the lab tomorrow.

Murray
    Last edited by Murray@uptowngallery; 06-22-2007 at 06:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Murray

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin